3 || Show-off

"Sorry my mom ruined it guys" Charlie said with an apologetic voice.

They all reassured him that it was fine before they let him leave with his mom and they all left together.

"Elowen!"

He and her friends stopped in their tracks as she turned around, only to see a dirty blond haired, green eyed boy skating to her. The two boys that were with him in the beginning waited for them on the street.

"Mr. Banks, do you have a tardy slip?" she said while crossing her arms, looking at the boy.

"Ha ha very funny" Adam responded, rolling his eyes, "Coach made us run extra laps today, sorry I'm late" he looked behind her only to see he was being stared at by Connie, Guy, Averman and Nova. At the same time Elowen looked behind him, only to see she was being stared at by Larson and McGill.

They both looked at each other, telepathically saying that they should go their separate ways or things would get messy.

"See you at dinner tonight?" he asked her.

"Of course" she responded to him before turning around back to her new friends. The last thing she saw him do was wave back at Nova, who was the only one who didn't have a frown on her face.
Weird, Elowen thought to herself as she was walking with her friends.

"You're friends with the Hawks?" Guy asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm not friends with the Hawks per-say..." she responded to her friend. She didn't want her friendship with Adam to make her friendship with District Five impossible. She knew that if they got to know him, they'd like him too. But right now, his innocent kind personality was overshadowed by being a Howk. "I'm only friends with Adam"

"But..." Averman started, "he's a Hawk"

"Well I knew him before he was a Hawk" she explained, "And besides you should never judge a book by it's cover"

"Yeah ok..." Guy said, tilting his head down. She knew they didn't like her being friends with a Hawk but what could she do? She'd known Adam since they were babies, she couldn't just abandon him. Then again, she had managed to make these amazing friends. The only thing she could do was hope her friendships wouldn't affect each other and that maybe one day District five and her green-eyed Hawk friend could get along.

There was an awkward silence the rest of the way until Connie broke it "Well, this where we part" she said pointing the road where Guy and Averman had to go. Usually, she would go too but this time she was spending the night at Nova's that day.

"See ya," the two boys said as they took their own route. 

All Gwen wanted to respond was "See you!". It wasn't that hard. It wasn't supposed to be that hard. It was only two words. Only. Two. Words.

"Do you guys still want to be my friend?" she blurted out. Instant regret filled her mind. She cringed so hard shivers went down her spine. All she wanted to do was lock herself in her basement forever. So much for only two words, she thought while mentally facepalming herself.

The boys stopped and turned back to the very awkward looking girl. "Of course we still want to be your friend," Averman started, "it's not like you're a Hawk," he explained.

"So you're not like... mad?" Oh my gosh Elowen, SHUT UP!! She thought to herself once more. All of these things kept coming out of her mouth before pacing through her brain first.

"Mad? Why would we be mad?" Connie asked laughing. She may have laughed but she was genuinely concerned about who made her friend feel like they had a say on who she could and couldn't be friends with.

"Well... I don't know" she told her friends as they all looked at her confused. "I just, um... d-don't you guys have a game tomorrow?" she said, trying to change the subject.

"Well actually yeah," Nova answered, "Are you gonna be there?"

"It's against the Hawks," Connie added.

"Well I would come but I can't, I have a competition in San Francisco sunday and my flight leaves tomorrow" she explained.

"Shoot! Talking about leaving, we gotta go" said Guy while looking at the clock inside of the shop they were in front of.

After they said their goodbyes, the girls walked together to Nova's house.

"Do you wanna come in? We can make extra popcorn" Nova asked Elowen.

As she opened her mouth, ready to say 'yes' , she remembered her diner plans. Her family and the Banks family had a monthly diner to talk about whatever. It was tradition. And sure she did think hearing her and her friend's parents talking about work wasn't her exact cup of tea, she knew how Adam's parents were practically never around. Her parents too. So they enjoyed it, considering it was the only actual time where they'd all be together. BUT, Elowen thought to herself, dinner isn't until six.

She hated the  way she thought because she knew she wasn't going to remember about dinner.

- - - - - -

While the three girls were watching TV,  Miss Collins came into the living room to ask Elowen if she was staying for dinner.

"I really would Miss Collins but I can't" she responded, "I'm having dinner with the Banks' today" she didn't mean to say that in such a disappointed tone but she did. "Talking about dinner, I should probably going" she tried to seem as calm and as collected as she possibly could before basically sprinting to the door.

"Thank you for the beautiful evening!" she told her friend's mom before leaving, closing the door behind her and letting out a small "Crap!".

Connie whispered "show-off" to Nova as they quietly laughed at their friend's over-excessive good manners to adults.

Elowen ran to her house (which was right in front) to change her clothes and ran back to Adam's house. If there's one thing her parents wanted was for her to arrive at least an hour before dinner would start. It was 5:50pm.

She sighed before opening the door. She was ready to be welcomed by a very mad talking-through-her-teeth-because-she's-fake-smiling Mme Lavigne but was instead greeted by a very happy Miss Banks.

"Elowen!" she said as welcomed her with a hug.

"Hi Miss Banks! Are my parents not here yet?" Elowen asked as she looked around the house.

She looked at her husband before looking back at the little girl in front of her.

"Did they not tell you? They got caught up with something at work and couldn't make it"

"Oh right!" the girl responded as she vaguely remembered the note her parents left on the counter of their kitchen. "I forgot" she finished with a forced smile.

All she wanted to do was leave but she couldn't. If she went back home, she would be reminded of the fact that her parents canceled on her... again. And she couldn't just go back to Nova's house right after she declined dinner, it was impolite. And besides, the Lavigne-Banks weekly dinner was tradition. Instead of leaving, she decided to help Miss Banks with food and try to make small talk.

"So... where's Adam?" Elowen asked while putting the plates on the table.

"...Adam?" Miss Banks asked, "wasn't he with you?"

Crap... "Umm yeah of course he was with me! He just had some hockey stuff back from the rink since he forgot it there" she lied.

She hated lying. Especially to Adam's mom. But she wasn't a snitch either. Banks, you owe me big time...

~🦆🌷Tulips Corner🌷🦆~

Ngl, If I had the Mighty Ducks as friends, I wouldn't wanna loose them either