18 || Abstract Figure Skating

Rue flopped on her bed with a million thoughts in her mind. She was about to  write them down in her diary but saw it was gone.

I thought I packed it, she thought as she looked in her sports bag. She contemplated going back to her house to get it but knew she couldn't.

The Banks didn't let any of the kids go out after 9:30, even if it was to go to Rue's house which was right across the street in front of theirs.

Rue sighed and went to Adam's room. She opened the door, only to see him rapidly hide something. He was on his desk doing homework but rushed to his bed to hide whatever he had under his pillow.

"What was that, a bathroom reading?" she asked with a laugh.

"Very funny" he told her with a mocking smile.

He got back on his desk and started writing in his work sheet. He had all of his homework on the desk but no one could say he was actually doing it.

"You should see your face, you'd laugh a whole lot more," she muttered as she went inside his room.

Adam mocked her which made her smile as she sat on his bed.

"Someone's in a cranky mood" she taunted.

Rue slightly glanced over at Adam before looking at his pillow and reaching under it.

"NO!" he shouted as he hit her arm.

"Ow! Dude!"

"Don't. touch that."

She looked at him and blinked in disbelief a few times before scoffing.

"Guess it really is a bathroom reading" she muttered.

"It is NOT a bathroom reading!"

"Whatever you say..." Rue sang as she left.

Rue went out the door while Adam rolled his eyes and got back to what he was doing. He didn't question her weird arrival in his room considering she did it a lot when she was bored.

She thought annoying him would have made her stop thinking about Ken but somehow it only did the opposite.

She went back to her room and flopped on her bed, back to square one. She hated thinking about him since it always confused her for some reason but decided to give in. She thought about what had happened a few days earlier when she saw him.

- - - -

Rue had been walking back from Hans' shop that day. She was wearing her Ducks jersey but because of the weather she wore a random sweatshirt and a zipper vest over it.

Though it was springtime, it was still extremely cold for some reason. Rue never really minded the cold since winter was her favourite season. It reminded her of home.

She walked towards the pond and saw a familiar face. There was only one person she knew that went on the pond to figure skate and if it wasn't her, then it was Ken.

"Hey!" she cheerfully greeted.

She had run on the pond towards him but forgot she was wearing her winter boots so she slipped on the ice.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly as he approached her.

"Yeah I'm fine I just slipped"

He had looked at her for a few seconds and tried holding in his laughter as Rue got up and wiped the snow off her vest.

"O-Okay," he responded. His voice was trembling as he covered his mouth with his hand.

She looked up and met eyes with him, which made him burst out laughing.