Little things

"Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish." - Hermann Hesse

I tried to do something a little different this time. It's not a story as such...more like a monologue. Hope you like it;)

__________________________________.

Maya and Carina had been married for the past 5 years. They had together built a life filled with unconditional love for one another. But, just like any other couple, they had a fair share of problems hurled towards them but none were strong enough to falter the bond between Deluca-Bishops.

Surely the grand gestures in life are much appreciated by everyone but the real essence of life is in the small gestures, that sometimes may go unnoticed by many but not by the people you cherish and love. 

Maya and Carina always appreciated the little things that they did for each other. Sometimes acknowledging it with a thank you but, more commonly with a glint in their eyes and a smile on their faces to tell how much they loved the other one for always being there. 

Life is all about tiny beautiful things. Like Carina cooking dinner for Maya knowing that she was returning from a tough shift or Maya setting up a bath for Carina, just as she liked it with lots of candles for their aroma and bubbles filling the bath tub, after multiple tiring deliveries. 'Who wouldn't like a calming bubble bath after being in rooms with screaming woman all day and babies flying out of their vaginas?' Maya always used to say when Carina tried to thank her. And even though Carina didn't believe her about the 'flying out of vaginas' part, she didn't correct her wife. 

Maya and Carina always knew when the other one needed help without it even being voiced. Like when Carina would cook and Maya would try to help her to save her from doing all the work. Even though it seemed like more trouble than help as Maya didn't know much about cooking, it was the effort that always counted. 

It was no doubt to anyone that Maya and Carina were lovesick fools. Everyone pretended to tease them for their extreme softness and affection for each other but in reality their love for each other was adored by everyone. 

Maya and Carina never missed an opportunity to say 'I love you' to the other. Be it in the morning just before going into work or after coming back home at the completion of their shifts or whenever they found a little free time during work. 

They sent each other voice notes to give updates about how their day was going. The couple also had a rule that if one wasn't feeling better or wanted some space to clear their mind, they would always speak it up. 

If Carina had a particularly bad day which was when she lost patients, she would text Maya about it. And Maya was well aware that on such days Carina needed more attention and love and she turned into a clingy koala. So, Maya would pick her up after work, arrange for a quite  night together by ordering food, putting on any classic Italian movie and cuddling with her allowing Carina to put her guard down and cry as much as she would like.

On the other hand if Maya had a bad day, Carina knew that she would look for ways to release the frustration within her. So, Carina would often arrange for them to go on a run together, even though she hated it. Carina had ever brought a punching bag for Maya that she would hang up beside the treadmill, stand behind it to grasp it tightly and would ask Maya to punch it until she felt better. 

They understood each other in ways that almost showed a telepathic connection. It was almost scary to others. They never understood the way Maya used to know what Carina is trying to say just by looking at the crinkle of her eyebrows.