Part Five

Ello ;D Chapter Five already?!? 

Part Five

It took a moment to register what he had said.

Here, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees and animals and well- ugh, nature.  Here, where the only sounds are the sounds of birds. Here, where the next mall is miles away.

“Here?” I repeated quietly, almost about his next answer. It couldn’t be here. It just couldn’t. Those bedazzled television people do a show like this...here? I doubted the “villagers” knew what Wi-Fi is.

“Yup. Now stand up, it’s close to here. You won’t have to jump out of a moving car again.” he said without emotion, but I sensed he was mocking me. He had immediately stopped the car when I jumped out, the skid marks were evident in the sand. The fact that he wasn’t frantically worrying about my safety somewhat irritated me. He was in the car that had caused me injury, shouldn’t he be of blame? Shouldn’t he be on the phone with my father, repeatedly apologizing?

No. He can’t be doing that. The fact that my father and I aren’t on those terms hits me. I can’t have him wrapped around my finger anymore. He has his own family.

For the first time I feel an unusual feeling.

I feel alone.

I guess I realise that I’m no stranger to this feeling. I’ve secretly been alone for my whole life. I’ve never had any real friends that I’ve made on my own. I went to a small, rich, academy. I suppose I had friends. I picked them by their family, their appearance. We didn’t do anything but give each other “company” during school. So that we didn’t look alone. But we were, really.

Even at home, I would just request what I wanted and I would get it. I didn’t need anything but that. My father would be working, Ruby would be out doing whatever she does with her card. Evan went to a private school much like mine, bringing home annoying friends, playing tennis in his gifted league.

I was frequently by myself. Or with someone who I was practically forced to be friends with. For “Business Terms” my father would say. But now I think- have I ever actually made a friend?

“Well hurry up. We’re on a schedule, ‘princess’.” he rolled his eyes and tapped his foot in an impatient manner.

I stood up with a grunt. I had scraped my arms and legs pretty badly. Seeing the scrapes on my skin was a weird sight to me. I felt slightly dizzy. Was this normal? I had also twisted my ankle so that it hurt when I pressed on it. My clothes were tattered with dry dirt. I brushed it off as I brushed off my worries of being alone. The dirt fell to the ground but my thoughts refused to leave my mind.

“Come on, it’s right around the corner, where that gate is. It’ll be a little walking if you aren’t too injured.” he said sarcastically, crossing his arms. When he saw that I was up and alive he started walking in front of me, half-heartedly making a ‘follow me’ gesture.

“Hey... Jerry?” I asked, getting his attention. We walked rather slowly toward a rusty gate and a NO TRESPASSERS sign. The path became very narrow and grassier as it went along.

He nonchalantly answered , “Yeah...?” not even bothering to look at me. He was staring off into space, leading me to the gate.

“You sure this is the way?” We had reached the old gate with a massive padlock on the opening. It didn’t look at all inviting.

“Believe me,” he dug out a key from his pocket. Shoving the key into the lock, he impatiently fumbled with the stiff gate. It was too high to climb over and the tiny space under the gate didn’t seem big enough to crawl through. I guess we could’ve went around the gate, but who knows what’s in those woods. I don’t want to be the one to find out. There was a loud clicking sound as the lock opened. The gate screeched as Jerry tugged it open a sliver. It seemed to be a lot of work for such a small amount of progress.