Chapter 3

For Harry, signing worked better than the communication cards, which he'd viewed as collectibles. Harry quickly picked up the sign for eat, but only used it sporadically. Remus would never make Harry sign for food, as several books recommended. Harry already acted as if his food would be taken and seemed genuinely surprised to receive any after a meltdown. They needed Harry to know that eating was an unconditional right in his new home, not something he had to perform for.

Remus tried to get Harry to sign what color he wanted to wear each day. Getting Harry to dress himself was a work in progress, since he seemed to like hiding in his shirts and robes as they were pulled over his head.

Neville continued to visit, and helped make communication cards for his parents. Both Sirius and Remus grew increasingly concerned during these visits. Neville had several stories of his great-uncle trying to force magic out of him, in the opposite way Harry's uncle had.

These stories concerned Harry too, and Sirius vowed "Your uncle will never hurt you again."

It also became clear that Augusta berated Neville and diminished his talents, frequently saying he should be more like his father.

"We could take him in," Sirius said, as he carried Harry around the house one evening. He didn't think he'd ever grow tired of holding Harry, and the gentle contact was good for both of them.

He expected Remus to point out their hands were full, but Remus just said "He's good with Harry. All the books say peers are important."

When they owled Augusta Longbottom about the idea, and then discussed it via the Floo network, she approved. Maybe, she said, they'd help Neville make something of himself.

Remus insisted they ask Frank and Alice as well, though they gave no indication they recognized Neville as their son. They didn't recognize Sirius or Remus either, but Alice slipped Remus a small photograph of her son.

In mid-July, Neville moved into Harry, Remus and Sirius's new home, and slid into their lives fairly easily. He was still shy and unsure, but smiled when Remus complimented his green thumb. Neville showed Harry how to hold a watering can, how to scatter and pat dirt, how to open a chocolate frog.

Sirius made sure Neville had plants in his new bedroom and received gardening supplies on his birthday, which was the day before Harry's. Sirius spoiled Harry on his birthday, of course. Harry still mostly played with bottles and brooms, which were likely the only toys he'd had in that cursed cupboard, so Sirius gifted him with more of each for his collection.

Sirius spoiled himself a bit too, but he deserved it after Azkaban. He tracked down his motorbike, which Hagrid had apparently kept and Arthur Weasley had tried to improve. Neville refused a ride when Sirius brought the bike home, seeming just as terrified of the bike as a broomstick. Neville shared that his Gran had never let him near a broomstick, and was clearly relieved that Sirius didn't scold him for his fear.

Harry, however, glanced at the bike and then stared at the sky, expecting to fly.

Sirius' hands shook, his knuckles white as he held the morning's edition of the Daily Prophet. Plastered under the headline The Boy Who Lived in St. Mungo's was a candid photograph of their family. Sirius looked slightly haggard, but far happier than he'd been for years. Remus was shabbier than usual since they were both sleep-deprived. Neville and Harry walked between them. In the moving photo, Sirius's smile fell as Harry stopped shuffling along to hit his forehead and tug his hair, leaving the lightning scar clearly visible.

Sirius frowned- the photo was from the day of Harry's follow-up at St. Mungo's, and a visit with Neville's parents. But the photo itself was from an ice cream trip in Muggle London before their hospital visit.