Chapter 11

Christmas with the Weasleys was always a loud and joyous event. Mrs. Weasley smiled when Ron and Ginny talked of inviting friends.

"The more the merrier!" Sirius grinned, and resumed singing as he helped decorate. Molly had already made her famous Weasley jumpers for Ron and Ginny's friends. She seemed surprised when Ginny said she should knit an elf-sized jumper with a D, but set another pair of needles to work.

Neither Colin nor Hermione stopped over on Christmas morning. Molly had been hesitant to invite all their families, due to a lack of space rather than a lack of kindness or the fact their families were all Muggles (Arthur had been delighted at the prospect of so many Muggles joining them for Christmas, but had to admit that travel would be difficult without a flying car or the Floo Network).

The Lovegoods joined the Weasleys, and Luna unwrapped many oddities from her father.

Harry, of course, threw most of his gifts- and occasionally other people's- up to the ghoul, but held on to the instant camera that developed moving pictures and the large box of Chocolate Frogs from Hermione.

Sirius was practically dog-piled with hugs from Fred, George, Ron and Ginny when they unwrapped new broomsticks. "They're cheaper in bulk," said Remus; he knew what it was like to hurt for money perhaps even more than the Weasleys, and knew the parents at least might not be thrilled with others spending large amounts on their children.

Dobby was ecstatic with his jumper. He already looked so much better than the abused elf in a pillowcase. He kept offering to help watch over Harry, or help Molly with the ironing, but it made little sense to free Dobby from being bound to the Malfoys just to bind him to another family.

Sirius was just unwrapping a dog collar from a grinning Remus when Fawkes appeared in a burst of flames, holding a neatly-wrapped parcel in his claws. He dropped it on Harry's lap, but Harry was more focused on the phoenix as Remus looked at the note in Dumbledore's handwriting.

Remus read aloud "Harry, your father left this in my possession before he died."

He and Sirius exchanged a look, knowing exactly what is was.

"What is it?" Ron asked eagerly. Remus explained that they wanted to unwrap something so sentimental in private.

Later, at their own cottage, they ripped open the parcel and the familiar silvery fabric pooled on the bed. There was another note pinned to the invisibility cloak itself, suggesting Sirius and Remus use it if they needed some privacy.

"Never knew Dumbledore was such a dirty old man." Sirius snorted, trying very hard not to think about Dumbledore snogging someone under the cloak. "You know, Harry, we used to play peekaboo with this when you were a baby."

Sirius hid under the cloak, then threw it off. Harry didn't crack up like he had as an infant; instead, he asked "Peeves?"

"Peeves can turn invisible." Remus agreed. "But this cloak doesn't make you a poltergeist."

"Peeves!" Harry said, slower, grabbing the cloak.

"You're not giving this to Peeves." Sirius told Harry firmly. Sure, Harry may have inherited it, but it was too rare and valuable to just toss away like a toy spider. Besides, Peeves could turn invisible on his own.

For their Christmas visit to the closed ward, Neville brought a bunch of photos Colin had taken. He spent an hour showing them all to his parents and Gran, and telling them about his latest term at Hogwarts. Gran said she was proud of Neville for his successes at Hogwarts. Neville left the photos there in the hopes that they would help his parents recognize him.