Chapter 22: I Don't Know

Matt was in line with two other girls. Shannon gave Molly a major stink eye as soon as she spotted Cole with her. "Cole, the Ferris wheel," she pouted, and then scowled again. Am I missing something here?

"Yeah, I know. Maybe we can go on another ride," Cole suggested.

"Don't let me interrupt," Molly said, and backed away, but he grabbed her wrists, pulling into his chest.

"Please don't go," he whispered , locked eyes and gave a look she hadn't seen since their first date: filled with promise and longing. Staring back at his green eyes, she almost felt her knees buckle, but then a sound of bells ringing broke their trance.

"Are we getting on this ride, ladies and gents, or just stare at each other?" Matt chimed in while holding his lady friend by the waist. She shook her head.

"We're not," Molly said in a bored tone.

"Why not?" Cole asked.

"I said we can walk."

"Fine. I'll be right back, Matt."

"But-" Shannon protested.

"I'm coming back," Cole reassured with a smile. He placed his arm around Molly's elbow as they walked.

She removed it quickly. "Stop."

In the distance, music of either Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance' or Beyonce's 'Partition' played for entertainment. After two minutes of silence, Molly wrung her fingers together. "I didn't mean to hurt you," Cole finally said. Molly looked in his direction with a frown. She wanted to punch him again.

She blew out air from her lips, trying to choose her words carefully and then spoke, "why did you do it?" Molly said, looking down at her shoes.

"I only thought of you wanting you so much. Physically and emotionally. Exams and projects caused me stress. I thought calling you to visit would be selfish because you're dealing with the same thing. I looked for other girls to hang out with. I met Cheryl at a party. She connected with me because her boyfriend is abroad in Europe. Once. I was so lonely without you." Molly listened, baffled at his words.

"How's your eye?" Molly pointed to his face, stifling her giggle.

"The swelling went down," Cole answered. Before it was purple, it was turning black thanks to the ice he used earlier. 

"You could have told me," She muttered quietly. The sun set. Molly puttered her lips

Cole stared at her with such sadness and guilt. "I knew you'd be angry."

"Cole, I loved you. Of course I'd be mad. I'm angry. You don't think I wanted to hook up with someone else? It's thrown at me, a lot of guys dm me I block. That's why I came to visit you as a surprise, but you had a surprise of your own," she laughed humorlessly, her eyes stinging with tears of the scene on replay again. She shut her eyes tightly to not let the salty water leak through.

"I'm such a douchebag," he mumbled.

"Yeah, you are."

"Loved?" he replied, thinking back to what she said earlier. Loved, she said she loved him. He will always have a place in her heart for him, but he's untrustworthy.

"I still care about you, Cole, I don't think-" he stopped her before she finished her sentence.

"I understand. Can we at least be friends?" He questioned.

"You need to give me some time to get over you," she responded.

"What about phone calls?"

"I don't know."