Chapter 4: I'm Not Sad. I'm... Nonchalant

Before arriving, the girls changed into tank tops and shorts, bathing suits underneath, and entered with ease. With beer cups in their hands, they mingled with the coeds while M .I. A's 'Bad Girls' played in the background. Melanie's eyes scoped around, full of hot shirtless guys wearing bedsheets and beautiful girls in bikinis. One of them zipped past the crowd screaming he was Captain America, wearing red, white, and blue shorts, buzz cut blonde hair. He asked his friend to throw a shield to him, which was a trash can lid. The edge landed in his stomach. One brunette girl was flirting around, she announced she was getting tired. Eventually, she passed out on the lawn chair. Melanie shook her head.

"Who looks good to you?" Melanie asked.

Molly sighed, adjusting her bikini strap, "I don't know. Are they single?"

"Who cares?" Melanie gulped down the rest of the beer.

"I'm not a man thief." Molly scrunched her face, hiding it behind her plastic cup.

"It's not stealing. You can ask first. I'm gonna go chat with red shorts over there," Melanie stated, pointing to the boy in dark red shorts and toned body. He was checking her out too. She motioned him to come over with her index finger, which was Molly's cue to leave. Walking around and looking at the students, laughing, they were playing beer pong/keg stands. Molly took an empty seat to rest her feet. Moaning sounds came to her right, a couple making out and groping each other.

It made her miss making out, which made her miss Cole. She was uncomfortable. I'm not supposed to be missing him, I hate him. But my heart's telling me I don't, I still love him. God, he sucks. Scolding herself, Molly tapped her foot rapidly and took a big sip of her beer.

"You think people would understand to get a room at a party like this," a male voice said beside her. Molly turned to her side. A blonde, grey-eyed guy sat in the spare chair, leaning close. Her mouth gaped open. She just smiled and then looked away.

"So I've never seen you around here. First party or are you crashing?" he asked.

Molly turned back to him, surprised. How did he know? Raising her eyebrows, but then played it cool, relaxing her body, "I'm usually holed up in my room studying." She checked around for her best friend, seeing her still talking to the boy in red shorts while pulling off flirty poses: leaning closer with a hair flip and gentle touches on his muscular arm.

"Looking for your boyfriend?" he asked, nudging Molly in her ribs for her attention again.

"No. For my friend, but I found her," she responded, directing her finger to Melanie's direction, who's giggling at whatever red shorts were saying.

"I see your friend found Dan."

"You know him?"

"He's my roommate. Don't worry, she's in excellent hands. I'm Kyle, by the way," he introduced, bringing his open hand out.

She grabbed it for a handshake, "Molly."

"So, Molly, what's a pretty girl like you looking sad at a kegger?"

"I'm not sad. I'm... nonchalant," she said, trying to convince him and herself.

"Are you sure? You have this look like someone took your favorite stuffed animal or something," Kyle said with a laugh.

"Well, you don't know me, maybe that stuffed animal had sentimental value," she shrugged.

He chuckled again, "you're not from around here, are you?"

"Maryland," she admitted.

"Oh, home of the Orioles."

She frowned, "oh, baseball."

"You're reserved. I like that." He nodded.

"Mel always said to keep them guessing."

"Mel?"

"Oh sorry, my friend there with your roommate."

"Wise and beautiful, like you." Molly blushed, tucking a strand behind her ear, and relaxed her shoulders. The day became night, the fast-paced song turned into a slow and smooth one. He asked, "you wanna dance?"

"Actually, yeah I do," He took her hand and pulled her to the open spaced area, hands on his neck and his wrapped around her waist. They swayed to the music of 'Lost Without You' by Robin Thicke. No small talk, no eye contact, Molly's eyes were down to his feet from her nerves.

Briefly, their eyes met, his seeming... intimate, sweet. "Did you hear what I said?" he asked her.

"Sorry?" She blinked a few times from her zone.

"I said you have beautiful eyes." Molly melted, her face feeling hot. She told him thanks. Molly glanced at his kissable lips, firmly hers against his. It was a soft, partially open mouth kiss, and she liked it. A lot. Even though he tasted like tequila and salt. Breaking apart, she smiled, looking up to him. He mirrored her expression and pulled her into his chest. She laid her head on his shoulders, feeling comforted and weightless. She was sure of herself to move on.

"Wanna go upstairs?" Kyle whispered. Molly froze on his shoulder. Lifting her head, she saw his smirking lips as he brushed a piece of her blonde hair away from her cheek seductively.

"Um..." she started, letting out a nervous laugh until a voice shouted her name, interrupting the moment.