Chapter 4

I woke besides Carl. Both of our shoulders were touching. I tried to move away quietly because I remembered me and Enid had a plan to go out today.

I successfully got away from him without waking him. 'This time he can't follow me.' I thought and for the first time while here I ate a granola bar they gave me. I felt more secure here and I didn't I could not think of the reason they would hurt me.

I knew my stomach wouldn't hold it. My stomach was used to not eating a lot so just eating the granola bar made my stomach hurt but I ignored it.  I got the wall and jumped it as before, I didn't grab my weapons because Enid doesn't know about them.

I found her in a tree. "Wow you are here. This is the second time. Are you going to talk to me now?" She asked jumping down from the tree.
"Yeah." I said quietly and she looked taken back.

"Cool, you are talking now." Enid said.
we started to run though the forest together. It was fun. She asked me what my name was and I said, "Anna, my name is Anna."

"So have you meet Carl yet?" Enid asked me.
"Actually, I have." I smiled when she looked shocked. I explained our whole meeting at the party(but left out the whole jewel and name thing). She frowned for a single second but smiled again saying, "Do you think he is cute?"

"What?!" I said and stumbled on a branch. "Hahaha, you heard meh. Answer the question." She laughed at my trip and I played it off saying, "Hn. That's for you to figure out. But do you like him?" I asked.

"He is alright. Gosh we must sound weird. The world has been taken over by walkers but we are talking about boys." We both laughed but froze when we heard someone following us.

I pointed behind a tree and Enid quickly ran over behind the tree. I climbed up a large oak tree. Then I saw him.

Carl was trailing us but making quite a large amount of noise doing so. I heard Enid's voice say, "I know your following us. Just come out now." Carl stepped out right where me and Enid were standing just a few minutes ago and said,"Please come out Enid." Enid came out and said, "Why do you keep following us?"

"It's not safe out here. You should leave without an adult." Carl said.
"Don't tell me you have gone soft." Enid moaned but also said, "None of you understand, your all going to go soft and your going to change. I don't want to change."

'I don't want to either.' I thought while creeping along the long thick branches of the oak tree. Carl thought for a moment and said,"I don't want to change either." He practically stole my words.

"What are you waiting for then?" Enid asked and Carl shrugged he started to walk closer to Enid so I slowly climbed down from the tree. I decided to sneak up and Carl and so I did. "Where is Anna?" Carl suddenly asked Enid.
"I don't know." She lied.
"Oh I thought she would be with you." For a second I thought Carl had a look of disappointment on his face but I could have been my imagination.

The where about to run through the forest when I jumped out at Carl. For Christ sake he almost punched me from shock.

"Jeez Carl calm down." I sighed taking a deep breath.

#_Carl's POV_#

I looked at Anna who jumped out at me and laughed, "Sorry about that."
"You should be." She breathed out and Enid walked over and wrapped her arm around Anna. They both smiled. Enid was alright but when Anna smiled, the whole world smiled back. I can't believe she was all alone in the world for so long I never had feelings like this before for anyone.

We ran through the the forest and Enid showed us her trick with the walkers by throwing the timer on the ground.

We took a break from running and sat down by some logs. We talked about running and how it makes us feel good. I could totally agree with that. It felt so much better out her than cooped up in there. No one but Anna and Enid would ever understand.

#_Anna's POV_#

After our break we were about to leave when I heard a whole group of Walker coming our way. We froze and Enid started to climb up a tree. I was going to do the same but I couldn't leave Carl, so I grabbed his tee-shirt and pulled him into a large hole in the tree. We stood together, all packed close (practically chest to chest), watching the Walkers walk by.

"Carl, can you do me a favor?" I asked.
"Sure." He breathed. His breath on my neck made me shiver. I don't know why. It's hard to understand why.

"Don't tell anyone about my weapons and skills. I want to remain undercover." I pleaded quietly.
"Sure but you can't tell anyone about this." He said our faces were inches apart now. Walker were still moving around out there.

"Tell anyone what?" I asked confused.
"This..." His lips were centimeters away from mine and slowly getting closer. Almost touching but I heard Enid start climbing down the tree and the moment was lost.

Carl got our quickly and so did I. Enid said, "Is everyone okay?" And we both nodded.

We ran around the forest a bit long and we all agreed to go back home. We all jumped the wall together and were walking home when I heard glass break. Carl, Enid and I ran to the spot we hear sit and two men were fighting.

I recognized Pete  and had a small cry of fear come from my mouth. A split second later I saw the other man was Rick. Both were bloody and were trying to choke each other.

I ran over and tried to pry Petes arms off of Rick. "ANNA!" Carl yelled and started to ran to me as Pete hit my stomach.

Pain shot through my body. I landed a few feet away from the fight. I cried out and throw up my granola bar. Carl was at my side. Everything was spinning. I could no longer see but I heard Carl calling my name. "ANNA!" I could feel Carl's arms trying to wake me but I passed out anyway.