Ep.1 Familiar Faces Part 2

Update? How interesting...
Sorry for any grammatical errors or weird structures. Don't be afraid to mention them to me! I'd love to fix them.

Updated: 12-8-22, changed the name of the new group introduced.

WC: 3549

The gate screeched open as the group pushed through to greet their people and get the first impression of the man out of the way. Clementine could hear the chuckles from AJ as they asked if he was alright. Louis' reaction was nothing short of feigning being hurt that no one cared for him. She smiled to herself listening to all the commotion. She couldn't quite see the man yet. The wall was in the right place to block her view of him at the moment. She anticipated this meeting the entire day, going over different scenarios in her head how this might play out. She always made sure to be one step ahead of her opponent or in any situation. 

Everyone finally re-entered the school, the man's back turned towards Clementine. There was something oddly familiar in the way the man held himself. Clementine pushed herself out of the picnic table, grabbing her crutches and slowly walking toward the group. The sound of his voice stopped her in her tracks and she studied the back of his head attentively. He finally turned around when he heard someone question him, his eyes skimming over Clementine and then quickly flicking back over to her. Her eyes blew wide and she scoffed in disbelief. His expression matched her own.

"Oh my god." Javier said first. The others looked at him with confused glares. 

"Javi?" Clementine questioned, a broad smile formed on her face. He jogged over to her and placed his hands on his sides. Once again, the scenarios she played over and over again were not even close to how things were actually going.

"I'll be damned. Clementine. After all this time I run into you once again! What are the odds?" He laughed and Clementine joined his laughter. 

"I never expected to see you again! Guess it really is a small world." Clementine closed the distance between them and they hugged briefly. This gesture left the others stunned, each one of them looking at one another with bewilderment. The two parted and Javi stepped away. He looked at her leg and raised an eyebrow.

"Well that looks like one hell of a story. What happened these last few years?" She responded with a short breathy laugh.

"A lot of shit." Before Clem could elaborate on the situation she felt a small hand touch her arm. She turned her head to find AJ looking at her, his brows furrowed as he tried to piece together how they could know each other.

"You know him?" He asked hesitantly. She smiled and placed her hand on his shoulder. 

"Javier. This is AJ. The boy you tried to help me find. AJ, this is Javier. The man I told you about when I lost you. The only person who showed me kindness and gave me hope in a time I needed it most." She spoke loud enough for the group to hear. The news rippled around her friends.

"This is AJ? Wow, I'm so happy you were able to find him! He's one tough kid, he's got a strong character." Javi said and winked in AJ's direction. Clem couldn't help but grin at his words. She gave AJ a small squeeze on his shoulder.

"So what about the others? Kate and Gabe?" 

"Doin' fine. They're back at the Van right now actually. If they knew you were here I bet they both would've wanted to see you, after everything you did to help us win back New Richmond, we owe you." He said, putting a hand on her shoulder. She shook her head in response.

"You don't owe me anything. You already helped me by trusting me and getting me to my destination. That's all I asked for. I'm the one who owes you for bringing you to a place like that." Clementine's voice lowered. Javier could tell the topic wasn't something they both should re-live right now and changed the subject.