Part Four. Take Us Back: Extended Version

For the next week, AJ was filling up his time by helping Clem regain her strength and keeping the school in working order. He had finally gotten the 'okay' from Aasim to help with hunting and catching fish, which he enjoyed doing.

Clementine had been bed ridden that week, she could barely stand when she first woke up but everyday she would force herself to try and get out of bed. Ruby refused to let her get up the first few times Clem tried but she was relentless.

AJ sat at the stream a few minutes away from the school with a spear in hand while listening to the flow of the water and the splashes of fish trying to get back to their home.

He eyed the water, waiting for that perfect moment for a fish to slow down and strike.

There.

He thrusted the spear through the water and aimed for the head. He sighed when he brought the spear back up and noticed that he missed. A few more attempts were lost until he finally caught one. A victory at last! He put it in a bucket and tried a couple more times and eventually caught another one.

He placed it beside the other one and decided it was best to head home as the last of the day light shone through the trees.

"Alright girl." He said, turning to pet Rosie on the head. "I'm gonna go put the spear away. Stay here and keep watch." He stopped petting her and walked towards an old shed.

The rusted red door creaked open as he crossed the threshold. Looking around the room, he noticed how worn down and gross the place had gotten. Bottles lay everywhere, the ground was overrun by grass, vines, and weeds, and a brick fireplace sat on the left wall. A bathtub is seen near the left side corner of the room and a bed on the right side corner. Above it hung a banner with the words 'THIS PLACE IS CURSED' written in what seemed to be some white paint.

He placed the spear back in its rightful position nestled in the wall. AJ walked back outside when all was done and grabbed the bucket of fish. When he looked back toward the stream, he noticed a familiar shape flowing quickly in the water.

He dropped the bucket and ran to the stream. He reached out as far as he could and batted at the air but he was still too far away and it flowed right past him.

He pushed himself up and booked it towards the bridge that was nearby and laid on his stomach. He reached for it one more time but again it slipped out of his grip.

"No!" He shouted as he watched it drift away. He got back up on his feet though, not ready to give up and was about to sprint over to it when Rosie jumped in and beat him to it.

"Yes!" He jumped with excitement. He walked over to Rosie and grabbed the moldy wet hat out of her mouth. Clementine's hat. "Good girl!" He said proudly.

He stared at it a little longer, wondering what this hat could tell him if it could talk. The stories this thing would have. His thoughts were torn from him when he heard the sound of sticks breaking ahead in the forest. He looked up to find a walker heading his way.

AJ pulled out his gun and aimed it at its head and then it turned around. He lowered his gun and swallowed dryly. It was Tenn. AJ's face fell. To see his first real friend in such a monstrous state was heartbreaking.

"I'm sorry Tenn but, you were gonna get Louis killed. I had to do it." He raised his gun again, he needed to do this. A pained look crossed his face when he realized that he couldn't kill him and once again dropped his gun. He mulled about his decisions and decided to toss a rock into the woods. Tenn turned towards the sound and slowly limped away in that direction. Rosie whimpered when she realized he was gone for good.