Part Three. Take Us Back: Extended Version

Early the next day, AJ stirred awake. He turned over and noticed someone sitting at the desk writing. It was Violet. AJ rubbed his eyes and sat up.

"Hey Vi." He said as he yawned.

"Oh good morning AJ." She responded,  turning around to look at him.

"Is...is Clem awake yet?" He asked in a concerning tone. Violet shook her head.

"She hasn't. I left this room as soon as I woke up to see if the others were waking too and I asked Ruby if she had heard anything. She said she checked on her this morning and everything seemed to be going just fine but her body is still recovering. We don't know how long she'll be asleep." Violet got up from the chair and leaned against the desk instead. AJ started to get up too.

"Can I go see her?" AJ's voice was quiet when he spoke.

"Of course." Answered Violet. "I'll be helping with food this morning. If ya need anything, we'll be outside." AJ nodded his head and they both left the room together. She took a left and he kept walking forward to his and Clem's room.

AJ stood in front of the door for a few seconds before opening it all the way. He peeked around from behind the door and saw Louis sitting on an old chair,  his head on the bed where Clem laid asleep. He must have been there all night. AJ thought to himself. He's a good person.

He walked in a little further, noticing the tightness of Clems face before it softened again. He wondered if maybe she was having a dream. Whatever dream it was, he hoped it was good. He walked further and noticed the slight movements of Louis beginning to wake so he stopped walking and waited. Louis noticed the small figure standing by the bed but because his eyes hadn't fully adjusted yet, it startled him. He sat up faster than he anticipated and bumped his head into the upper half of the bunk bed.

"Ow." He said with a groan as he rubbed the back of his head. "Jesus, oh AJ! Sorry, I didn't know who you were for a second, just assumed the worse I guess." He said. AJ chuckled at him.

"I'm sorry I just wanted to check on Clem." 

"Yeah, I know. It's okay." Louis got up from the chair he was sitting in to let AJ see her. AJ nodded at him and went to Clem's side. He put his hand on her head for a few seconds before he slowly put his arm back down. She feels fine. Thank god.

"Do you know when she'll wake up?" AJ asked Louis.

"I don't know little man. I hope soon." They stared at her in silence, hoping for a smooth recovery.

"Hey" AJ said, interrupting both their thoughts. "I think food will be served soon. We should go out and eat something." AJ headed towards the door and looked back to see Louis still staring at Clementine. "She's going to be okay. She's pretty bad-ass if you ask me. And I've been with her all my life." AJ said, trying to lighten up the mood. A half smile found its way to Louis' face before he let out a breathy laugh.

"Damn right she is. I may not have known her for as long as you have but I have a pretty good idea just how strong Clem is. She's amazing." Noticing the silence in the room Louis realized just how much he'd been paying attention to Clem, his face turned a little red. "Err, anyway I think you're right. We should go eat something." Louis scooted past AJ and scurried away out of the building. AJ was confused by his sudden change in character but instead, shrugged it off and followed suit. 

After eating breakfast with the gang, AJ decided to start helping around the school with little projects here and there. After a full day of work, the sun was going to set soon and there was still no sign of Clem waking up.

AJ worried about it even after being told again and again that things will be alright, he insisted on overthinking her condition. Instead of going to bed he paced back and forth at the top of the stairs in the front of the school. He fumbled with his hands and tried to calm himself with the breathing techniques again but it didn't help as much as he'd liked it to which only made him angrier.