Part Two. Take Us Back: Extended Version

It's going to be a long trip carrying all this weight to the school. I hope I can find it. AJ thought to himself.

"Err, not that I'm saying your fat clem." He said, trying to lighten the mood for himself. It didn't really work since she obviously couldn't hear him, nor make a snarky remark back. He sighed and kept pushing clementine through the woods. Every part of the forest seemed the same and AJ began to doubt himself. He tried to push down the feeling that he was lost but the question that had been nagging at him seemed to slip it's way out of his mouth.

"What if i'm not going the right way?". He stopped and looked around. Nothing seemed familiar to him. He took a few deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth, just like Clem had taught him. He looked around one last time and proceeded in the direction his gut said was right. It seemed hours had gone by but when AJ looked up at the sky, the sun had barely moved which meant it hadn't even been an hour. As his body ran out of adrenaline, his limbs began to ache and his eyes got heavy. Pushing the wheelbarrow got harder as the seconds went by. He wanted to rest but he knew he had to keep going to save Clementine. Then suddenly he saw something swaying in the trees. He turned to go towards it and as he got closer his eyes widened and a smile crept along his face.

"THE WALKER!" He shouted. It's the walker that Louis beat up with his chair leg the first time they met. Suddenly everything seemed familiar. AJ turned in the direction of the school. After a little while longer, walking as fast as he could down the trail, the front gates to the school finally appeared in his line of sight. Tears of joy filled his eyes but he refused to let them fall. He yelled at the the group.

"Please somebody help me! Clem needs help!". Aasim had seen him first since he was on lookout duty.

"Oh my god! You're both alive!" He looked closer and saw clementine in the wheelbarrow with half of her leg missing. "Holy fuck! Guys get out here quickly! AJ needs help!" He yelled to the group. One by one they ran out the front gate. First Louis ran straight to Clementine's side.

"What the hell happened?" The words tumbled out of his mouth.

"I...i...just I'll tell you when she's safe inside." AJ watched Louis's face fall but he nodded his head and motioned everyone to help him get her inside. Louis put one of Clementine's hands around his neck and Violet did the same on the right side of her. They both pulled her out of the wheelbarrow but then half way through Louis decided to take over. He swept her up into the bridle position and carried her to her room. They all briskly followed suit.

He sat her down slowly onto the bottom bunk bed on the right side of the room. Ruby quickly kneeled by her side to examine her wound.

"How did this happen?" She asked AJ. AJ looked down at his shoes, still processing all of it himself.

"I had to. Clem got bit." And with that the world seemed to go still. A shocked silence fell over the room. Violet who was standing near the door with the rest of the group spoke up first.

"So you cut off her leg. Do you think it worked?" AJ looked at her.

"I'm not sure. She didn't have a fever the last time I checked which is a good thing. Right?"

"Yes it is." Ruby responded, checking the rest of her body for more injuries. "Can one of you please get the first aid kit and...and alcohol?" She asked the group. Violet sighed.

"I hope that's for the wound and not for yourself." She smiled trying to lighten the mood. Ruby looked up and smiled too.

"Ha ha, now go get the stuff." Violet turned around and walked out the door. Silence fell over the room again. Everyone stood around the door waiting anxiously for violet to return. Louis leaned against the bed with his arms folded watching Clementine's face, his own face etched with worry. Willy, Omar, and Aasim are crowded near the door while AJ sat on the bunk bed across from where Clementine layed. Even Rosie had followed everyone into the room and was at AJ's legs, looking around at the sullen faces.