"Wake up!"

She was held back only by Halt's strong arms. The older Ranger didn't look so ravishing himself, but all Alyss could see was the small figure of her husband. Pale, bloody, and cut, he looked more dead than alive. A cold hand clutched her heart.

"WILL?"

Her voice was shrill and full of desperation. She'd heard of their arrival a few minutes ago and had immediately rushed down, closely followed by Pauline. They were greeted by the appearances of a dark knight debriefing the Baron and head healer as a grey bearded Ranger carefully laid a third companion on the ground.

Will hadn't moved since.

"WAKE UP!"

Sobs were forcing their way out of her throat and she clutched to the older Ranger.

"Let her go, Halt," the soft voice of Pauline sounded, lightly putting a hand on his arm. Halt's embrace weakened and Alyss broke through, falling on her knees besides the improvised brancard. A crowd had formed around them when word spread that Crowley's special task force had returned - wrecked. Alyss now clutched to the younger Ranger, still careful as not to be in the way of the healers attending to him.

"Will? Will! Wake up - wake up!"

Minutes ensued, and nothing happened. Horace kneeled beside them. The knight laid an arm around his friend's shoulders and she leaned against him, seeking comfort, as the tears kept streaming down her face.

"Wake up," she whispered in between ragged breaths.

When suddenly he did.

There's not always medical explaining as to why something happens, Alyss would later think. None of the healers had had enough time to examine him properly, and after he had woken up Will hadn't given them much of a chance. She never knew what had pulled him back from the absent state that everyone had been sure would be his death, and a small part of her heart always wondered if perhaps, in some way, she had saved his life.

At the time, she hadn't cared.

"Morning, 'Lyss," he weakly grinned. Alyss laughed at him through a tear stained face. Her heart skipped a beat, yet a wonderful and warm feeling spread out through her.

"Morning, sunshine."