Champagne problems

In which the OG legends face wishful wit, greedy guests, and shattering chandeliers.

Note: couple of things. 1) this abandons whatever timeline there was. Oh well. 2) this is a mess, there's no background info, it's all vibes and no plot. Do with it what you will. 3) it's ehhh,,,, really long. 

~~~

There was something a little morbid about celebrating coronations, given that they usually take place right after a head state had passed away. And yet here they stand, in Castle Araluen's biggest ballroom, toasting to the new King.

The black banners put up in mourning of the now late King Oswald had shortly been exchanged for Duncan's colours, orange and gold, with a leopard stitched onto them. They are complemented by the rays of the setting sun through the open doors and there's the soft blowing of a summer wind that makes the banners dance even more elaborate than the guests on the floor.

Invitees from all around the Kingdom have gathered together, eating and drinking and dancing and talking and celebrating, celebrating a new beginning, a new era, a new king.

Amidst them stands a curious trio, two of them clad in plain brown breeches, simple leather boots, but with neat white shirts. One of them has wild black hair and an equally messy beard, the other can be recognised by his bright red hair and the freckles on his face. The silver shining oak leaves that hang around their necks are the only signs that the two men are Rangers. They are accompanied by a woman, tall and elegant and dressed in a classic black dress. The bodice hugs her figure tightly, the skirt flows around her legs gracefully, and her blond hair is kept up by several equally inky feathers.

They stand aside, near the walls. No one pays attention to them. But they pay attention to everyone.

Pauline is nipping from a glass of champagne.

"Arald thinks the traitor might be from one of Duncan's more supportive fiefs. Someone who's given everything from the start and is yet to see any payback. I think he's right. We haven't had any high-level betrayals throughout this war. It's too good to be true."

"Did you have any fiefs in mind?" Crowley asks. The Ranger Commandant is also holding a glass of champagne in his hand. The other is nonchalantly hidden away in his pocket.

The diplomat nods.

"If I had to guess, my bet would be on Aspienne or Caraway."

Halt temporarily breaks his scanning of the room and glances sideways at the Courier.

"David's fief?"

Pauline doesn't respond. Instead, she raises her glass in a greeting, as a man nods at her. When he has passed, she answers, but her voice is considerably softer than before.

"When I was meeting with the other Heads of the Diplomatic Service today, those two were the only ones without a single remark about the new divisions of rights and responsibilities. A topic otherwise reserved for our most eloquent speeches and most convincing arguments."

Halt raises an eyebrow. Arms crossed, leaning against one of the large pillars, he looks barely convinced.

"That's hardly concrete proof of anything."

Pauline smiles at him. It's an innocent, sweet smile, but the grim Ranger knows that behind it hides a sharp, witty, and incredibly intelligent mind.

"Tell me, Halt, are the diplomats in Hibernia so easygoing and the Kings so aligned that they never argue over a division of rights and responsibilities?"

Halt has no idea how or why Pauline would assume that he has any knowledge of or experience with the behaviour of Hibernian diplomats, let alone Kings. But in any case, the Head of Redmont's Diplomatic Service has made her point.