I do

In which Will and Alyss share a lingering kiss before a long trip apart. Requested by anonymous. Rated teens and up. 

~~~

Will looks up at the sound of Alyss dragging her bags out of the bedroom.

"Are you leaving?"

Stupid question. Of course she is. Will knows that. Not because of the bags, or the raided closet, or the travelling clothes. But because he knows every single date of her planned missions and assignments. Including this one. So yes, he knows she's leaving. That's why it's a rhetorical question. But one that Alyss is happy to answer nonetheless.

"I am."

The debriefing paperwork can wait a minute -- or two. Will drops his writing coal and wipes the black off his hand.

"Well... do you want to say goodbye first?"

This is a question that Alyss is even happier to answer. A smile appears on her face - a beautiful, delighted, exciting smile. Will knows it's genuine when her right eyebrow is raised slightly, unconsciously, as if pushed up by the corners of her mouth.

"I do."

Will's face lights up with a grin that could rival hers. He makes his way across the room, closing the distance between them. She promptly lets go of the handles of her bags, freeing her hands so she can wrap her arms around his neck, resting them on his shoulders. Will's arms fold themselves around her waist and he pulls her closer. Alyss needs to tilt her head downward a little to reach his face, but Will stands ready to meet her halfway.

Their faces hover near each other, a little. A movement towards results in a movement away. And a movement away is followed by a movement towards. Neither wants to be the first. Or maybe neither wants to start what will have to be ended.

Their noses touch first, left and right and then left again. Their foreheads are second, the brains that kept them apart for so long now closer than ever. Alyss's eyes are focused on Will's mouth, how it's half open, and how it trembles slightly at the idea of kissing hers. She loses sight when finally, he draws her even closer, and closer, until not their noses, not their foreheads, but their mouths, finally meet. Her lips are smooth, falling open at the brush of his tongue, welcoming him. Will is happy to oblige.

They stay there, for a few minutes, in the middle of the cabin. Alyss's hands are in his hair. Will's hands are on her back, his fingertips tracing along where her hair would fall if she wasn't wearing it up today. Their mouths stay together, letting space in between them only if a breath needs to be drawn.

Paradoxically, Will is the one to break the kiss, to say something, but he's so close that it's nothing more than murmuring into her mouth.

Alyss laughs and pushes him away, just a little. Just far enough away that they can speak in an understandable manner. Close enough to still feel his breaths on her skin.

"What was that?"

"I don't want you to go," he repeats. His eyes are open now, and still focused on her mouth. They trace its every line, closely follow the movement of her lips as Alyss pulls them into a smile and again when she speaks.

"Well I do."

With one soft finger she gently pushes up his chin, until his eyes have nowhere else to look than into hers.

"It's my job, Will, and one I love dearly."

He sighs. The released air warms her chin, her nose, and her cheeks.

"I know," he says. There's no sadness in his voice, or in his eyes. No regret. No hard feelings. Only admiration. Adoration. Love.

"I just wish you could stay."

But you can't. The words hang in the air between them, pushing them apart. Will's fingers break the contact with her back. Alyss's hands untangle themselves from his hair and let go of his chin. She presses a quick kiss on his lips, then turns around.

"Now you know exactly how I feel every time you leave."

Truly, there was no arguing with Alyss. Will watches as she wraps her navy blue cloak around her, checks that her dagger is still safely fastened at her side, and picks up her bags.

"You're so annoyingly sharp-witted and committed."

She smiles at him. Innocently, intelligently, intimately.

"And you love me for it."

The door slams shut behind her, too soon and too loud. The sound drowns out the words as Will whispers a reply.

"I do."