Two - The Salvation Paradox

The prophets of God's new covenant teach us that those who are in Christ have been born of God and are now newly created beings. New creations! But they also reveal that these new creations must cleanse themselves from all filthiness of the flesh and the spirit. How can both these things be?

All things are new in that we have been completely freed from slavery to sin and we have been united - fused - with God Himself. Yet we still have our free will, and we begin immature concerning the ways of God, like babies without knowledge or skill. The ways and methods that we know, our patterns and cycles, are corrupt - this is the infection we carry.

Because of this we still have opportunity to operate out of merely human nature, this is what it means to 'walk according to the flesh'. This is opposed to our new ability and calling to function through the divine nature of God, which is to 'walk according to the Spirit'! We must seek to be close to our Father and learn from Him and grow, otherwise we will indeed act out of human nature, which will never please God but will lead to destruction and death.

God's Spirit is He who will masterfully raise us up in the ways of God, if we will cooperate with Him. He will not force us into obedience. We must choose to submit to God, listen to His Spirit and obey Him. Through Him we must kill off everything birthed out of our human nature that opposes God. A challenging journey awaits us, but it is the only journey that leads to life and peace and treasures in heaven.

2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 Corinthians 7:1; 1 Peter 2:1-5; Romans 8:12-14