#11: A Hoe Never Gets Cold

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." - Chinese Proverb

__________

'This is an emergency. If you don't get here ASAP I will wither away into nothing.'

'Dear Lord, tin man, just pay attention to the damn meeting.'

'Didn't I hire you to do that??'

'I'll come listen to the meeting if you come deal with these gala details.'

'Omg stop texting me I'm trying to pay attention to my meeting. Be more professional.'

I rolled my eyes and slid my phone back into my coat pocket. The gala was tonight at 7 so I was in the process of making sure every little detail was set and ready. It was why I sent Tony to his 11 AM meeting alone. Did I trust him to actually pay attention and get work done? Absolutely not . Was I more concerned for the giant event tonight than the finance meeting? Absolutely so . I put my attention back onto my Stark Pad and went through my list for the hundredth time. I knew this was overkill, but I'd have to throw myself into a dumpster, a la Clint, if I disappointed Pepper.

" Ms. Bradshaw, there are two visitors at the front desk asking for you. " JARVIS spoke up.

I glanced up at the announcement and then lifted my pad as if JARVIS could see me, "Can you pull security up on my Pad?" A second later I was looking at the security feed focused on the front desk. It zoomed in on my visitors, and my eyes widened when I recognized Mj and her friend Peter. "Huh."

" Would you like me to bring them up? "

"Nah it's okay." I pushed myself up from the dining table and crossed the room to get to the elevator. While walking I straightened my skirt and the shirt I had tucked into it. I had on heels today and if these broke like the ones weeks ago I was going to swear them off forever. "Take me to the lobby, J?"

" Certainly ."

The elevator came to the first floor and I stepped out. It opened up in a back hallway that was off limits to the public. Tony built it in so the Avengers wouldn't have to ride the elevator with John and Jane Smith to whatever floor they worked on. It was definitely convenient since it meant I mostly didn't have to wait for the elevator ever.

I nodded my head with a smile to a few people I passed until I was in the loud and crowded main lobby. Sal waved at me from his stand, and I gave him a quick wave back before heading to the front desk.

"Hey!" I called out and both kids turned to greet me. Peter, a brunet boy with a smile that could warm over even the coldest of hearts, stood beside Mj nearly bursting with energy. It was cute to see them side by side. Mj and Peter's friendship looked a lot like what a friendship between a dog and cat would. "What're y'all doing here?"

Mj began to meet me halfway, "Came to deliver bad news."

"Huh?"

She shrugged, "My family and I can't make it to Thanksgiving dinner. Apparently, we have to leave the city to meet up with my Dad's brother or something like that. Mom was going to text you later, but she asked me to come by and tell you face to face."

"Oh." I replied with a frown. Well, that was a huge bummer. "That's totally fine! Thanks for telling me. Shouldn't y'all be in school though?"