#12: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

A/N: Would love to hear feedback from y'all!! Also if you found me from tiktok then hello (:

__________

"She wore her troubled past like wings—she had been through hell, and though no one could see her demons, they could see the face that conquered them." –Atticus

__________

I woke up warm. Like too warm. Like, holy shit did Tony crank the heat up to 112 or something? I was literally sweating. I could feel it pooling on the back of my neck. With an annoyed grumble I lifted my head up off my pillow, hair plastered to my cheek, only to realize I was not in my apartment right now. Thor and Jane were in my usual bed, I needed to remember to wash those sheets thoroughly, and I was on Steve's floor. Actually, more accurately, I was on Steve.

Last night, we must have fallen asleep on the couch while watching the Office and now in the early morning light my body was pressed between the couch cushions and Steve's giant body. The only reason why he hadn't fallen off was probably because half of me was on top of his chest. Even then some of him wasn't even on the couch. Steve couldn't be comfortable right now. I used my hand to pull the hair from my face and blinked the blurriness from my eyes.

Steve looked soft. There was always something in his eyes, a warmth and kindness, but he also looked stressed. It was harder to catch when he was laughing or talking, but every once in a while, he'd get a faraway look in his eyes. A tenseness that never truly left him. Right now, though? He looked completely at ease. Steve's blond hair was a morning mess and the sharp outline of his profile contrasted his partly parted, soft lips. I almost wished I was good at art like him so I could catch this moment on paper. It looked like the kind of moment that needed to be preserved in graphite or ink.

I let out a soft hum and used my right hand to lightly tap on his chest. I didn't want to wake him, but I really needed to pee, and his heavy legs were definitely on top of my left one. I let out another soft hum and whispered, "Hey, uh, Steve?" His eyebrow twitched. "Steve?"

His eyes finally blinked open a few times, adjusting to the light and his bearings like I had, and finally settled on me. Realization slowly dawned on him and then it sharply turned to shock. Steve mumbled a curse and went to sit up, but it threw off the very delicate balance we had. In an attempt to correct himself, I went sliding to the floor with a yelp, but just as quick as he had accidentally thrown me off, he caught me again. We both hit the floor, him on top of me, but he kept one arm around my back so I didn't hit the floor hard.

Now I was staring at Steve again, but this time I was looking up at him as he stared down at me with wide blue eyes. He opened his mouth, probably to apologize, but I just laughed. Steve's worry turned to amusement as he chuckled once, "Morning."

"Good morning, Captain Rogers." I replied with a grin. "Sorry for the rude awakening."

"I think I'm at fault for that."

We stayed like that for another beat until I tilted my head a bit, "Uh, Steve? Can I...? You know?"

"Shit, yeah." Steve said and quickly got to his feet. He pulled me up just as quickly. "Sorry."

"No, I just really gotta pee." I clapped him on the shoulder once before hurrying past him. The clock Steve had on his bedroom wall said it was just a little past 7 in the morning. Once in the bathroom, I went through a truncated version of my morning routine using the same spare toothbrush I did last night. My hair was a wavy mess since I fell asleep with it braided. When I stepped out, Steve was moving around in his closet. I leaned against the bathroom doorway, "Sorry for waking you up so early."