Chapter 2: The Decision

Luke's POV

"I have to leave," I told my mom as soon as we arrived back home.

"Luke, we just got home. Let me at least make you a sandwich. You haven't eaten in days-"

"I don't mean the house mom I mean the country,"

"You want to leave the country? Oh Luke come here..." she said with a sigh as she pulled me into her arms.

The tears fell quickly and in a moment my face was completely soaked.

"I know you loved her... and I know you're in pain, but family is what keeps you strong, it keeps you sane. We're all here for each other. We will get through this together."

My statement wasn't a request, but through miscommunication she obviously saw it that way.

"Mom, I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, I have some money saved up to buy a one-way ticket out of here. I can't stand to walk around here when Lily's death was my fault."

"But it's n-" she started before I cut in. "Don't mom, just...just don't try to patronize me. I need to leave, start fresh, and attempt to find myself again. I promised Lily. I promised her that I'd make other people happy, that I would find happiness again and this is the only way I can do that now."

Tears formed around the rims of her eyes, she knew that there was no way to convince me.

I knew I'd never be able to erase my mother's expression from my head, because right then I knew how much this would hurt her.

But no matter how much it killed me to see my mother that deflated, it wasn't going to change anything.

I was still buying a one-way ticket out of here, and I was doing it now. I had some money saved up over the past couple of years from mowing lawns every summer so I knew there was some coach flight out there within my price range, the problem is that I'll need a place to stay as well.

Fortunately, I have a friend who has family in Queenstown, New Zealand so I think there's a chance I could stay with him, at least for the summer.

I took the chance and ordered a plane ticket. It wasn't long afterwards until I called up my friend. After three endless rings, he picked up,

"Hello? Luke?"

"Um, hey Calum, I'm in a bit of a bind and I need quite a large favor from you."

"Anything man, it's good to hear from you though I haven't talked to you in ages."

"Yeah I know it's been too long- um, I'm flying to Queenstown tomorrow aftern-"

"YOU'RE VISITING THAT'S GREAT!"

"Yeah I'm in need of a change in scenery..." I was lying. "-for at least the summer, but I'll need a place to stay for a little while until I get myself back on my feet. I'll give you the details when I arrive ."

"Sure, it's totally fine we need to catch up anyways, we have only one summer left and then we're headed off to uni so we might as well spend it together."

"Great, so see you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow Luke."

"Alright thanks again mate,"

And with that, my decision was made. I was leaving for Queenstown, New Zealand and I had no intentions of coming back.

a/n: Thank you everyone for the reads! We never expected NEAR as much as we're getting. Hope you enjoy the chapter and see you next Friday lovelies. (prepare for something long and emotional next week, just saying lol the reference)

Allison & Faith