Chapter 3: The Goodbye

Luke's POV

It was seven in the morning when my eyes first opened and the blazing sun came through the cracks in the blinds and threatened to permanently impair my vision.

About ten minutes later is when I actually forced myself out from beneath the warmth of my zoo animal themed duvet I've had for as long as I can remember and trudged my way around my room to gather as much as I could fit into a small, holed duffle.

Sure it wasn't much, but I didn't want too much of my past to come with me to New Zealand.

My intentions were to start fresh as a whole new Luke.

A Luke without Lily Sinclair. Someone I haven't been for so long I can't remember what it's like.

It was a ten minute walk to the cemetery from my house. No matter how desperately I wanted to turn around and make a run for it, I knew in my heart that I couldn't ever truly leave this place without saying goodbye to Lily and making my peace.

The warm, still air surrounding the trees was beginning to suffocate me and I almost faltered, but I didn't, I couldn't, she didn't deserve that.

My beat up black vans shuffled through the grassy dirt patches as I made my way to the head stone.

"Lily Sinclair
Beloved daughter, sister, and friend.
May her soul rest in peace.
1997-2014"

I didn't realize how large the lump in my throat was until I attempted to swallow.

I wanted to speak, but my head was drowning in the words that needed to come out, I unintentionally started to sing.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy, when skies are gray.

You never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away."

*flashback*

The mud caked my fingers as I plunged them deep within the earth. The warm breeze of the 2002 summer was soothing on my skin along with the cool mud.

I was delighted that I'd found a bed of beautiful daisies to make my mud pies in, so I started singing the same song my mum did to wake me up every morning.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy, when skies are gray.

You never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don--"

"What do you think you're doing?" A small girl with chestnut hair twisted into two french braids that fell down to her shoulder blades shouted.

Her voice broke me from my thoughts and when I looked up she was skipping over towards me, curious as to what I was doing.

"Making mud pies, do you want one?" I asked. She seemed as if she was about to yell for her mother since she kept glancing back towards her house. "Ewwwww that's so gross!"

I took it as a no and grabbed a fistful of daisies and handed them to her instead. "Well, if you don't want a mud pie, have these daisies instead."

Her grin extended from ear to ear, and her smile was beaming aside from the small tooth gap on her bottom row.

"Thank you! I'm Lily, we should be friends." She extended her hand to shake mine and when I went to shake it I smothered hers in mud.

"Okay. I'm Luke, but if we are going to be friends, you're going to have to get used to the mud. Deal?"