CHAPTER SEVENTEEN . 戦争賠償

❝ 戦争賠償 ❞
reparations of war

❝ 戦争賠償 ❞reparations of war

COLD AIR PRICKLED your skin until you felt the goosebumps appeared

COLD AIR PRICKLED your skin until you felt the goosebumps appeared. Your eyelashes fluttered open, seeing the dimly lit room present around you. Bricks of cobblestone lined the walls, trapping you in what you presumed to be a cellar of sorts. The earthy scent gave it away, along with the lack of natural light. You couldn't quite grasp the environment with your blurred vision and so you tried to stand— only to find yourself tied to a chair. Your wrists and ankles bound with rope that was tied tightly around the delicate skin, leaving scarlet burns as you tried to writhe out of your confinements.

Twisting, twisting— you tried to pry yourself from the ropes, attempting to loosen the ropes to slip through to no avail. You gave up, settling for defeat as you observed the surroundings for a possible opening instead. Yet, you couldn't quite concentrate with the prospect of your current circumstance, having been kidnapped from your own home.

That man, you realized as the memories of the kidnapping came rushing back like the opening of a floodgate. The same man who attacked me back at Yuehai Pavilion.

Decidedly, you pressed your eyelids close to concentrate to the best of your ability— connecting the dots. There was no doubt in your mind that whoever was behind the attack on Yuehai Pavilion was also behind your poisoning back when you were in Snezhnaya, and this kidnapping. It wouldn't be a stretch to also assume that this individual or group was also behind my adoptive father's death.

And of what they would gain from my death? You presumed to be your title as the head of the (l/n) house, wealth, status, or position. Or perhaps, all of them.

You grimaced, feeling as your chest fell to anxiety. Despair pierced your heart as you tried to think of hope yet virtually, there was no hope. Only a miracle could save you now.

Would the fates allow you such a future? And what of the stars? Have they also doomed you to such a grim fate? Are you not permitted to have a happily ever after? Must your life end so pitifully? Such questions misted your mind as you contemplated your potential end; being that you were so unfortunate to have been slotted into this position.