CHAPTER SIXTEEN . あなたの不在で

❝ あなたの不在で ❞
in your absence

❝ あなたの不在で ❞in your absence

LIGHTNING CRACKED ABOVE Scaramouche's head as he made his way back towards a Fatui hideout

LIGHTNING CRACKED ABOVE Scaramouche's head as he made his way back towards a Fatui hideout. Harsh gale whipped past him, casting down torrential rainfall as he pushed his way through the storm towards his destination. Finally, by the time he made it to the hideout, the relentless rainfall had ceased but the dark clouds stilled in anger— lightning occasionally flashing and brightening up the sky temporarily before going dark.

"Lord Scaramouche...!" His name was called when he stepped foot inside the hideout. Two Fatui agents came rushing towards him, urgently providing him with a thick blanket to shield him from the cold. Though Scaramouche had no need for preserving body heat, he was familiar with the bittersweet coldness of thunderstorms here.

"We're moving out," Scaramouche snarled, still feeling the anger from Yae's words. It festered inside him, this ugly tormenting emotion of wrath and the Sixth Harbinger despised the feeling.

"Sir, we've received word of your fiancé's arrival back in Liyue Harbor." At the mention of you, Scaramouche visibly tensed— his muscles taut at your title, his fiancé.

"Is that all?" He snapped at the two agents, his tone conveyed frustration as he stormed into the hideout. The agents followed behind him, doing their best to keep up with Scaramouche's pace.

"We... also received some other news... We're not sure if this relates to your fiancé but the letter does indeed come from Liyue, we're certain of that."

A letter? Scaramouche paused, turning to glance at the agents with a raised eyebrow. "Other news?"

He hated that he could feel his own apprehension in his words, and hated that he was showing vulnerability over such a trivial matter.

"Just an hour ago, we were sent this note anonymously. It was addressed to you, sir." One of the agents stepped forth, handing Scaramouche an unopened letter with his name printed on the outside— with a seal from Liyue. It was taunting him yet it didn't evoke irritation in him, but rather, dread.