3. Yela Rumin's Intention

Norin looked around him, feeling the weights of his amulets on his body.

Approximately twenty-four hours after he woke up in a strange room, an older man – looking like some sort of butler – had entered, telling them they were safe and not to worry about the squid. Norin believed him; the man's aura was blue, indicating he was feeling exactly as he said he had been.

Which made him wonder where he was, but the older man refused to say anything.

And now, he seemed to be in the court of some kind of palace, with Mithra beside him, looking just as baffled.

There was no one else in that room on his side.

In front of him sat a man on a throne.

'How does that man in the room know about the squid?' he wondered. 'And what is this man's deal – and his house?! A palace, more like!'

The most astonishing thing of all: Neither he nor Mithra were tied up!

"Welcome!" the man on the throne boomed. "I'm awfully sorry for sending my pet squid, but I needed your assistance now."

"A pet squid?!" exclaimed Norin.

Before he could process anymore, Mithra spoke up: "You're Eura Ansari of the Sofia Dynasty, aren't you?"

The older man nodded; he had had a pleasant expression on his face from the start.

"Ah, I knew I saw you somewhere." At a questioning glance from Norin, she explained, "Ever since Sorceress Rumin told me she'd been sending me and someone else here, I'd been reading up about you."

The eura laughed light-heartedly. "You've done your homework, all right!" He turned to Norin. "And young man, were you aware that you were going to come to me?"

"With Mithra Surita, here, yes."

Eura Ansari turned to her again. "I take it, you're Mithra Surita?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"And you, young man, you're Norin Zura, the greatest disciple of Sorceress Rumin Nyagal?"

Norin turned red. "Y-Well, I am Norin Zura. Don't know about being a great disciple."

The eura looked amused. "Of course. Well, I suppose it's enough private audience for now. Wouldn't you like to have something? You must be starving."

"Eura, why are we here?" Norin realised as an afterthought that it was he who asked. He gulped, as the older man stared neutrally at him.

"That we shall discuss over a full-square meal. Is that all right?"

The younger man nodded. "Sure."

----------------------------------

"Forgive the food – the entire castle has gone vegetarian."

Norin and Mithra looked up, before they glanced at the food being served.

"That's all right," replied Norin, who was the first to find his tongue again, "we're vegetarians, too. May I ask, though – why?"

"No reason – just find it appealing. Besides, most of the denizens of Silone prefer vegetarianism. It's actually something they follow in Sofia, you know? How is the food?"

The young pair smiled. "I like it," they replied in unison.

"Good. Then eat up! We have a lot to discuss."