17. Starting Life Afresh

Norin smiled gratefully at his Sanguine.

"Thank you so much! If not for you, I think I would've died!"

Mithra blinked, surprise etched on her face. "I didn't even realise this serpentium tribus was in the grounds before I sensed your essence draining! How can this be!?"

"Well, you did see it. Before it turned into this serpent and you probably sensed it then, it was a man – the soldier you described to me a few days ago."

She gasped. "The one who offered to help me train?!" He nodded. "That bastard! He deserved what he got!" She snorted before leaping into the palace much like Cassandra had, a few moments ago. And then, she stopped dead in her tracks, staring at him like she was seeing a ghost. "Wait a minute... Darkarous draining magic is supposed to drain you of your essence. And when the source dies, then it reverses. You had recovered before – and suddenly, might I add – I had plunged my blade into the serpent! How did that happen!?"

Before Norin could respond, the door to their chamber opened and Cassandra slid inside. "Here you are," she said and walked over to the two mages with a tray in her hands. "Why, Mithra, you're here, too!" She frowned. "'How do you feel now?' is what I'd ask, but I feel like I already know without you having to tell me. What did I miss?"

Taking the glass of orange juice from her, Norin sat the other two down, before seating himself on the bed, and narrated what happened since Cassandra left the room.

The eurin's eyes widened in shock. "Oh gosh! I didn't hear a thing, and I'm sure neither did the rest of the palace!"

"Well, it is the most isolated part of the room, this chamber." He shrugged. "I wouldn't blame you."

Teresa opened the door and closed it behind her. "Norin! I heard you were awake! How do you feel?"

"Better than ever, actually," he replied with a smile. And between him and Mithra, Teresa found out the story, too, and she reacted much the same way as her kham had.

"Oh my! I'm sorry, Norin. Is your power back now?"

"Yes, yes. Thanks to a certain someone from Earth." He sighed. "Can somebody bring me the calendar, please? I want to check once again that tomorrow is Blue Moon Night."

Teresa volunteered to fetch it and while she was gone, Norin sat down on his bed again, beside Mithra, feeling refreshed. Cassandra sat on the only other bed in the room, facing them. The young mortal soon came back, since the calendar had been in the library, practically next door. She handed it to him and sat close beside her kham.

"When I confirm the date again," Norin told them, "we should make our plans—who will stay behind and work the Door and who will go."

"Well, we certainly cannot let the eura out of this palace," Mithra pointed out. "Therefore, it's up to the four of us."

"Agreed," nodded Cassandra.

"Yes," added Teresa. "And I shall be the one to stay behind."

"Me too," said Mithra. "Someone with magic has to stay behind, Norin. I know that's not what you want." She felt a pang of sadness across her bond with him.

He nodded remorsefully. "That's all right, I understand. You're right, too. We need to ensure that the Door is open all the time someone's gone to fetch Ay – Eurin Ayesha. So, that leaves Cassandra and me to go through the portal."

Cassandra nodded. "I agree to that." Teresa shot a look of worry towards her, but she found the latter's hand and squeezed it comfortingly, without turning a hair. "We can do this, Norin."