11. Kissing and Practising

"Does last night count, Cassandra?"

Cassandra startled out of her reverie. She was in the library, along with Teresa and Norin. While Teresa was watching her best friend, Norin was pouring over some books.

Cassandra's gaze found Teresa's. "Hey. You mean... what happened last night? The..." She glanced at Norin and her voice dried up. She didn't want to speak of her personal matters with a foreigner or even a stranger in the room.

Teresa smiled. "Yes, that's the one. Do you want to talk it over somewhere else? You know, considering you're not going to read that book for us after all?" She gleefully pointed at the book under Cassandra's hand.

The eurin blushed. "I was reading, actually. But yes, I think I need some break. I don't know how that man does it, though—have you seen how fast he reads?!"

Teresa nodded in wonder, but Norin didn't even turn a hair.

Cassandra beckoned to Teresa and they went to the stairwell and went up the stairs. They were the top of the Palace of Silone and above that was a huge terrace, spanning all across the breadth and length of the building. It was often rather peaceful and not a lot of people went there.

Sure enough, Cassandra found it devoid of any presence when she arrived there. She left the door open when Teresa entered behind her and went to sit against the far wall. Her friend sat close beside her, almost touching.

"So... you really didn't mind the kiss last night?" asked the eurin hesitantly.

Teresa chuckled. "No, I quite enjoyed it! I wished it didn't have to end, though."

A wondering smile crossed Cassandra's lips. "Well, my father wouldn't have approved of it, most certainly. I'm glad he doesn't have to find out!"

At this, the other woman blushed. "A-actually, he does – I mean, did."

Her eyebrows rose and her smile turned amused, much to Teresa's surprise. "Really? How come? And what happened?"

"Well, do you remember that day when I dressed you up?"

"You dressed me up lots of times."

"I mean... the last time I did it."

"Oh." Cassandra's face felt like it was going to melt if it heated up any more.

"Yes, that day. Based on your face, I imagine you felt the same way, too. It was... it was the first time I saw your whole body – by mistake, of course. I... I was sorry after I came out and almost immediately knocked into your father! He knew that look I had on my face, I know he did!"

"Oh, your poor girl," Cassandra reached out to stroke her friend's face. "Yes, he never approved of my interest in girls; he wanted me to marry a man when I grew up. Did you know whom he set me up with, the day before he died?"

"Who?"

"Nik! Can you believe it?!"

Teresa's eyes widened and her hands went to her mouth. "Oh my goodness! That's why he wanted to claim you that day – as if – as if he already had permission!"

"Wait – do you mean my father already promised me to Nik?"

"It may have well happened, your – Cassandra. I also think that it was what Nik needed from your father and that's why he killed him. I mean, you know, eventually the kingdom would go to him, since your father didn't have a male heir."

Cassandra nodded. "He promised me as much—that he would give the kingdom to the husband I chose." She sighed. "I'd be very happy if there was no kingdom to give to my 'husband' to. Well," she turned to Teresa and her eyes softened, "not that I'd be marrying a man, in the first place."