25. Companions in the Desert

As soon as he landed on solid ground, Lawrence released the breath he held back in the hut on Earth as he stepped through the door of Norin Zura's portal.

And then, he felt it—his hand in another hand. His skin tingled where it touched the other skin.

He turned around slowly and saw Cecil Fletcher slumped forward, only the arm that he held raised.

Lawrence felt a wave of delight as he stroked Cecil's hand. The younger man then stirred and lifted his head. He opened his eyes wide and blinked. He saw all around him—they were alone in a vast stretch of empty land, like a desert. Cecil's eyes finally landed on Lawrence. Then, slowly, down to where their hands were linked.

The older man waited with bated breath, expecting him to realise what was happening and whip his hand away furiously, an emotion he always showed when Lawrence openly showed his homosexuality.

Cecil knew this, too, but he didn't do anything of the sort. He just stared at their joined hands, wondering what this could mean. His body felt a warm tingle where it touched Lawrence's skin, sending that feeling everywhere across his body.

At long last, the younger man gave a sigh. "You know, Lauri, I've always felt a different sort of a liking to you... different from how my sister likes you. I know she doesn't have a very deep fondness for you – you're more like a little brother to her. But to me... I knew you would mean a lot to me as we spent more time together. But when I saw all around me, I didn't see men-couple... You know what I mean?"

Lawrence nodded. A smile crossed his face as understanding dawned upon him.

"I was always considered different by everybody, even my parents. My sister, too, but she never shunned me for it the way everybody else did. That's why, to this day, I owe her my life and I would do anything to be with her right now, wherever she is. I realise she didn't land in the same spot as us?"

Lawrence shook his head. "We're alone here from the rest of the group. I expect –"

"Hey!"

The two men jumped up; Lawrence threw Cecil behind him with their linked hands on instinct.

Two figures, both slender and woman-like, strode up towards them slowly.

"No need to be afraid," the same voice added. "We're not here to hurt you."

"Yes," the second figure agreed, as they came to a stop in front of the two men. "Just ask a few questions."

Lawrence glanced at Cecil, who nodded. "All right. What do you want to know?"

The first woman shrugged. "Look, we were just searching for some friends who came over from Earth. Would you be them?"

Slowly, light dawned in the older man's head. "Oh. Wait, are you Norin Zura's friends on the other side of the portal?"

The two women's eyes lit up in delight. They glanced at each other, before the first woman replied, in lower excited tones, "Yes! Hello, I am Mithra Surita. This is Teresa Milvana." She joined her hands at her chest and bowed. "It's nice to meet you."

The men were confused by the gesture; Lawrence assumed it was a form of greeting in Ahala. 'Oh well, as long as they sound nice, I suppose, and not condescending.' He cleared his throat and spoke up, "Hello. I'm Lawrence Belford and this is Cecil Fletcher. We've been taking care of Ayesha, who has been a good friend to us."

Teresa pursed her lips, though she didn't look at all angry. "Here in Ahala, it's Eurin Ayesha," she explained. "She's royalty and has a title. You ought to call her that way, at least in formal affairs. She may allow her friends to call her just by her name at other times."