VIII. | Disheveled

* * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ ˗ˏˋ

* * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ ˗ˏˋ. ☾ .ˊˎ˗ ˚ * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ *

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Wait, did you two come to school together? ❞

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

WARMTH SURROUNDS HU TAO. SHE feels as though her whole body is wrapped in the world's most comfortable blanket. One hand-crafted by an angel who used clouds from the sky to thread it. There's nothing that can compare to this feeling. It's so... peaceful... and safe... she just wishes in the back of her mind that this sensation lasts forever.

She's never felt this content before.

The bleary morning sky peeks in through the window, filling the room with a soft blue glow. Although the sun is coming up, it's barely noticeable from behind the clouds. Rain continues to fall from the sky at a gentler pace now. It's barely audible, yet just as comforting as ever.

Hu Tao takes a deep breath, shifting a little in her spot as her nose is met with the familiar smell of... wait.

She opens her eyes. Her crimson irises soon find themselves focusing on the sleeping face of Xiao above her, the sight of him in such a peaceful state almost shocking her more than the position they're in. Her arms are folded in front of her, hands splayed on his chest, and legs wrapped up in his.

But all she can think about is how peaceful he looks. That usual scowl which often graces his features is replaced with an expression of pure calmness. There is no hint of anger or pain. It almost looks as though he's become free of whatever burdens typically weigh upon his mind. He seems... unburdened.

Hu Tao smiles up at him, closing her eyes and pressing herself closer against his frame.

The distant sound of rain tittering against the window reaches her ears one again, the overwhelming urge to fall back asleep washing over her once again. Yet the feeling doesn't last long. The prodding reminder that they have school creeps back into her mind, and with a disappointed sigh, she begrudgingly stretches, carefully doing so as to not disturb the sleeping boy clinging to her. She sits up and turns to look at the clock on his nightstand.

6:21am

"Oh fuck."

All of the peacefulness Hu Tao had been basking in is suddenly ripped from her as she realizes that there's less than an hour before school starts.

* * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ ˗ˏˋ. ☾ .ˊˎ˗ ˚ * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ *

"Hey Xiaooooo~!"

Venti's cheerful voice echoes loudly from across the hallway. Xiao and Hu Tao turn simultaneously to look at him, and he waves vigorously at them in response. Both of their disheveled figures aren't too difficult to spot from far away, seeing as the two appear extra ruffled up (because they were almost late to school, unbeknownst to everyone else).

Surprisingly, neither Xiao nor Hu Tao talked about what had happened the previous night, or that morning. Both were too busy trying to rush to the school gates that they completely ignored what had occurred. And, well, on top of that, neither of them knew that the other had woken up and seen what position they were in. It was just an awkward secret that they chose to keep to themselves, assuming that the other didn't have a clue.

Walking over to the pair with an elated grin plastered across his face, Venti wraps an arm around Xiao's shoulder and begins joyfully striking up a conversation.

"How are you two doing on this fine morning? Say, do you by any chance feel generous enough to lend me the answers to our World History pa- I- Uh... Hu Tao...?"

The boy's face twists into one of utter confusion as he stares at her.

"Huh?" she tilts her head at him, "Why are you looking at me like you just saw a ghost?"

He pauses for a moment, shining orbs studying her face before his expression melts into a smirk. Venti removes his arm from Xiao's shoulder and begins tapping his chin in mock contemplation.

"Isn't that Xiao's shirt?" He gestures towards Hu Tao. "Hmm... and those shorts look a little big for you, too..."

Hu Tao's eyes widen as the color visibly drains from Xiao's face. He snaps his head towards her, amber eyes shining with such intensity that she can practically see what he's thinking. They glare into hers as if to scream, "Please cover for us. Lie your ass off if you have to. Please."

She knits her eyebrows nervously at him in reply before turning back to Venti.

"Eheh- Well-"

His eyes suddenly widen as the thought hits him. "Wait, did you two come to school together?"

Hu Tao slaps her hand over the boy's mouth, nervously glancing around the hallway to see that a couple heads are turned in their direction from the volume of Venti's voice.

"No, we did not come to school together," she says in a voice so convincing that Xiao would've believed it if he hadn't witnessed the opposite of her claims. "It rained yesterday, so I stopped by his house to wait for the storm to pass. He gave me a spare change of clothes, and I just forgot to change out of them when I got home."

Despite the girl's incredible performance, Venti looks far from convinced, his smile only widening as he opens his mouth again. However, before he can get another word out, the bell rings for first period. The three of them glance between each other in silence. The air is filled with awkward tension for a moment before he winks, mouthing to them, "It's obvious," and then turns away with an exaggerated twirl, leaving the pair to stare after him in shock.

"Huh... saved by the bell. Welp," Hu Tao starts, putting her hands in her pockets and looking back at Xiao, "Hopefully he doesn't gossip too much."

"It's Venti," Xiao replies with a scowl, "you shouldn't have such high hopes."

The girl laughs, nudging him in the arm with her elbow, "Fair point."

The two of them turn to make their way to their own classes, purposefully standing a little closer together than they usually do. It's a small detail that both of them notice, yet neither will speak about.