X. | Old Faces

* * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ ˗ˏˋ

* * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ ˗ˏˋ. ☾ .ˊˎ˗ ˚ * •̩̩͙ ✩ •̩̩͙ * ˚ *

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

...Zhongli. Hello. ❞

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

"Xiaooooo~! Pick up!"

HU TAO SIGHS AS THE phone in her hand goes to voicemail. She's been trying to talk to her dark-haired friend to ask for his opinion on the dress she bought for the party tomorrow, but he had been completely off the radar all day. It's not usually like her to fret over superficial things like this either, except her grandfather's banquet is an incredibly important ceremony to her, and to say she's stressed would be an understatement.

Xiao has been acting strange lately. She can't quite put her finger on it as to why, it's just something about his behavior Hu Tao can sense is off. It's not something she can explain, but it's definitely something she isn't imagining.

It would be a lie to say that she hadn't been thinking about what had happened the day she walked home with him after that thunderstorm. Honestly, the feelings swimming around in her gut had been driving her mad. She can't quite pinpoint what they are, either (which would add another bullet point to her list of Xiao's mysteries), and it frustrates her to no end. Questions upon questions flood her mind, and none of the answers she gives herself are satisfying. Despite how much each one would logically make sense—whether that be ones on either side of the love-or-friendship spectrum—none of them sit right with her.

But at this point, she has decided to simply reassure herself of the one thing that's for sure: that romantic love has nothing to do with it. She's just bored.

But she's glad her bond with him has grown so strong. Now she knows what it's like to have a best friend; someone who's so close to you, to the point where you're practically attached at the hip.

Unfortunately, these rather pleasant thoughts have been drowned out by the constant dread pricking at her stomach at the thought of the banquet tomorrow. Of course, Hu Tao has attended hundreds of ceremonies, receptions, funeral events, and all sorts of big gatherings just as important as this one -- yet something still feels off.

Finally, not even a minute after she puts her phone down, the device begins ringing. Hu Tao excitedly answers the call, nearly throwing it across the room from relief.

"Where have you been, idiot?" she scolds into the microphone, "I called you like, twenty times already!"

"Sorry, I didn't have cell service on the way ove-"

"YOU'RE HERE?!"

"Yeah, would you-"

She doesn't even let him finish before she throws her phone down and bolts out of the bedroom.