6. He Knows It's A Date

"Ah I've missed this," Emily smiled, putting Becca's coffee down on the small table, sinking into the deep couch in the corner of the small coffee shop.

"Me too. And I've missed you!" Becca grinned. "Last time we chatted, you were looking at houses with Andrew, how's that going?" Emily grimaced, taking a sip of her coffee.

"It's not," she said sadly.

"No," Becca said sympathetically, drawing her word out for a few seconds. "What happened? I thought things were good."

"They were, and nothing specific happened, it just wasn't meant to be. He tried, we both tried, but this job, the late nights, the time apart... it was too much for him," Emily shrugged.

"I'm so sorry Em."

"Me too. This job can take a lot from you, but it gives you a lot too." Becca nodded.

"I guess you need someone who understands the pressures of the job," Becca smiled. "Like maybe someone who did it before," she added, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh stop!" Emily laughed, leaning further back into the cushions. "It's not like that."

"Em, you know I can profile too, right? You think I missed how you guys were at Rossi's?"

"Aaron is a complicated guy, he's been through a lot," Emily said softly, raising her coffee to her lips.

"What, and that's made him celibate for the rest of his life?" Becca laughed, Emily rolling her eyes. "I can see you like him, you're not that good an actress."

"You can talk!" Emily exclaimed. "You think I don't see you and Reid?!" Becca laughed again.

"I think that's called deflection."

"I think that's called knowing you," Emily chuckled. "I hear you guys are planning Halloween together?"

"I'm actually seeing him tonight," Becca smiled, her voice quiet. Emily looked confused.

"Tonight?" She frowned. Becca nodded.

"What?"

"You know today's his birthday, right? That you're going on a date with him on his birthday?" Emily smiled cheekily. "I hope you have a special present for him," she laughed.

"Emily Prentiss, get your mind out of the gutter!" Becca laughed. "No, I didn't know it was his birthday, and I'm not even sure he considers this a date."

"Oh sweet girl," Emily muttered. "I've known Reid for over a decade now, and he might be a little out of touch with societal norms, but he's not stupid. He knows it's a date," Emily smirked as Becca took a sip from her drink. "You like him, don't you?" She asked softly.

"I mean, what's not to like?" Becca chuckled. "But realistically it's not a good idea. We live on different continents, and we don't even know how long I'll be here."

"I know, but he's a big boy. Trust me, he'll have already weighed everything up in that big, beautiful brain of his," Emily smiled. "He's had a tough few years. He deserves some fun, and some happiness. As do you," she smiled kindly, placing a hand gently on top of Becca's. "Just enjoy the now. Stop worrying about the future." Becca nodded, biting the inside of her cheek.

"You're right. But you also need to take your own advice," Becca smiled. "Deal?" Emily rolled her eyes, sighing dramatically.

"Fine, deal," Emily nodded reluctantly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becca sang quietly to herself as she leant towards the mirror on the dressing table, hooking a pair of white gold hoops into her earlobes. Taking a deep breath, she stood up from the stool, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Her long hair was loose around her shoulders, her make-up minimal and neutral. She'd picked out a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a loose-fitting grey t-shirt, covered with a black casual blazer. She straightened her small silver chain around her neck, the tiny heart-shaped charm sitting against her chest. Finishing her outfit off, she pulled on her black Converse, before pulling her phone from her pocket, finding a text from Emily.

'Have a great night. Be gentle with him 😉 xx'.

Laughing softly, she started to type a response but stopped as she heard a knock on the door. Pushing her phone back into her pocket, she glanced quickly into the mirror, running her fingers through her hair before pulling the door open.

"Right on time," she smiled, before freezing. "You cut your hair!" Gone were the fluffy curls, replaced with a shorter style, falling just above his ears, parted just off-centre and swept across his forehead. "I like it, you look like you should be in a boyband," she giggled as he rolled his eyes.

"Don't you start," Spencer laughed. He looked her up and down, his hazel eyes glinting in the overhead lights. "You look beautiful," he said softly. She smiled shyly, taking her lower lip between her teeth as she felt her cheeks flush red.

"You look good too. I like this more relaxed Dr Reid," she smiled. He was wearing black trousers and blazer, with a blue and grey t-shirt and blue Converse. "Our shoes almost match!"

"Great minds," he smiled. "You ready to go? The place is close to my apartment so I'll park there and we can walk there if that's ok?"

"Sounds good. Before we leave though, a little bird told me it's your birthday today. I hope you don't mind, but I got you something," Becca smiled, picking up a square package from the small table beside the door. He smiled as he opened the gift bag, pulling out an orange travel mug with the face of a carved pumpkin on it. "I'm sorry it's not much, I didn't have much shopping time," she laughed.

"No, I love it," he insisted, smiling as he put the cup back in the gift bag. "Thank you." Becca nodded, grabbing her bag from the table.

"Let's go!"