Chapter 1

Hugo didn't want any job.  He wanted one with a title, but that would mean he'd have to work hard to work his way up.  In a kingdom full of bright minds, he was hard to pick out.  However, he knew he was even smarter than the average Bayangor.  Soon, people would start to realize that.

When a job was opened in the Lord of Bayangor's Manor, well, Hugo jumped at the chance.  The man was known for having a keen eye for bright minds.  Perhaps he'd notice Hugo's and he'd slowly get promoted until he became someone of great importance.  He could build a legacy to his name, so that his descendants would know of their origins, unlike him.

Of course, Hugo wasn't exactly counting on becoming a "maid" for the lord's concubine.  He had been aware that the lord was married to a few people, and had a few concubines.  All of his four wives lived in separate manors, but his concubines were scattered throughout the manors.  To be precise, the lord has five different homes, but only four of them were occupied by his many 'loves'.

However, there was one concubine he was obsessed with.  More than his own wives.  His newest concubine lived in the fifth manor, but there were no other concubines with him.  Neither was there a wife.  He was also the first male concubine of the lord, and was given the most attention.

So, when Hugo finally arrived at the manor and was told he couldn't fall in love with the "special" concubine, he rolled his eyes.  He was immune to good looks.  Being a bit of a flirt, he had flirted with many good looking people, but no one fell in love with him, neither did he.

Nothing could have prepared him for what happened next.  He had only been working there for a few hours when it hit him.  Or rather, he accidentally walked into it.

Hugo had been mopping the floors.  He walked backwards and hadn't realized he had reached the point where the hall had turned a corner, nor did he notice that someone was walking by.  His back rammed into them and knocked them over.  Papers went flying in the air as Hugo fell backwards on top of them.

"Shit!" The other cursed.

"Dammit!"  Hugo muttered as he hurriedly got up.  "Sorry about that.  I didn't know you were there." He held his hand out and helped him up, only to freeze for a second taken off guard.  The young man before him had the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen.  His face splattered with adorable freckles across his face, but Hugo immediately shook it off.  Looks meant nothing.  "You're a quiet walker."

"Yeah, I learned to be if I want to get around without being so easily noticed by him."  The eighteen year old began to pick up his papers and Hugo helped.  "Are you new?  I don't remember you."

"Yeah, first day.  I'm Hugo, by the way."

"Varian-"

Hugo's head jerked up in surprise to get a better look at him.  This was the special concubine?  No wonder he was the talk of the country.  If Hugo hadn't been told, he would have continued thinking Varian was just another worker.  He had expected the concubine to be a spoiled brat that would pull their strings to get whatever they wanted from the lord.

Varian merely laughed at Hugo's reaction and took the papers.  "Don't worry, I don't bite."

"It's just that... you're a lot nicer than I imagined..."

Varian chuckled.  "What?  You think I'm this big ol' grouch?"  He made a face.

Hugo snorted back his laughter, but he didn't do very well.  This was why he had been warned not to fall in love.  Many people probably wanted him to be theirs, but Varian ultimately chose the lord supposedly.

A clock started to sound off the hour.  Varian scrambled to straighten his papers.  "I gotta go..."  He quickly left before Hugo even had a chance to say anything.