Chapter 18

Cassandra quickly got off him. "Oh my god! The last time I saw you, I thought you'd be a gone for good!"

"Yeah. What are you doing in Corona?" Varian grinned as she helped him up.

"Well, Bayangor sucks, so I helped your parents come to Corona, got offered a job to be a Coronan guard and here I am. We're hunting for a thief called the Silent Striker. They use the wall and sorry about that," she apologized.

"Heh, no problem. Thank you, by the way. For helping my parents."

She shrugged. "You and your family were the closest thing I had to family, so I had no point in staying there. I knew that you would worry about them so I wrote about them as much as possible-wait. You didn't get the letters? You should know all this."

Varian groaned and rolled his head back. "Did you have it sent to the nearest post office or directly to the manor?"

"The manor..."

"That would be why. Damn you, Mazouwi..." he muttered under his breath. "He probably burned every one of them after reading them."

"Oh..."

"Hey, ladies. Care to explain?" The man Hugo was still holding looked between them.

Hugo realized he still held his arm and let him go. He took a step away from the stranger and he put his hand in Varian's. "Yeah, who's he?"

"Frankly, I don't know," Varian admitted.

"This Fritzherjerk, the princess's boyfriend-"

Hugo squinted at him and pushed Varian behind him.

"Relax, he's annoying, but he's not like the nobles of Bayangor. Plus, he's an ex convict-"

"Not sure that makes me rest more easy," Hugo said.

Varian set a hand on his shoulder. "I trust Cassandra. If Cassandra trusts Fritzherjerk, then I do too."

"It's Eugene Fritzherbert, actually," the man replied.

"Huh-oh! Pfft!" Varian laughed. "I get it."

"Haha, yeah. It's super funny," Eugene said.

"Who's your friend?" Cassandra asked. "And what brings here over the Coronan wall in such a way?"

"This is Hugo," Varian began proudly. "He started working for Mazouwi a while back and we hit it off great-"

"He thought I was cute," Hugo teased.

"Oh, shut up." Varian rolled his eyes. "Anyways, we hit it off and I made a mistake. I felt lonely one night so I asked him to stay and that didn't settle with Mazouwi well... he uh... he almost had Hugo hung..."

"But this idiot decided to accept the bargain the bitch set up."

"Well, what was I supposed to do. Besides, we're here now aren't we?" Varian crossed his arms.

"What did he force you to do?" Cassandra asked.

"Long story short, he wanted me to marry him. Which means even though my two year contract was up, I would have to remain with him anyways."

"Oh, so you ran so you wouldn't have to marry him?" Eugene asked.

"Oh, no. I keep my promises. I married him but I burned that document first thing and left."

"He has a terrible habit of never breaking promises," Hugo muttered. Varian slipped his hand in his to comfort him.

"God, I knew Repunzel reminded me of you..." Cassandra sighed. "So what do you need to do now?"

"Actually, can you help us become citizens?" Varian asked.

Cassandra smirked. "You know, we really can. The process isn't that difficult here, but I think I can help you get in faster. This is the princess's boyfriend and she happens to be like a sister to me. Plus she owes me a favor."

"Yeah, Dragon lady doesn't trust many people. I think I can only name two, so if she trusts you, then, well, you gotta be something."

"Really? Thank you so much!" Varian exclaimed.