Chapter 9

Terror and panic entered Varian's system.  His eyes grew wide.  "No!  Please don't!"

"It's not my decision, Blue Bird.  It's yours.  Your freedom, or his life."

"No, Varian!  Don't do it!" Hugo wheezed.

"Alright, but... can... can I at least say goodbye before you make him go?"  Varian's voice cracked.

The lord smirked in triumph.  "Alright.  Since you agreed so quickly."

"Thank you," Varian whispered as the man let him go.  He got down on his knees next to Hugo.

The blonde grabbed his arms.  "No!  You can't marry that bastard!  I won't let you!"

"But what's the point?  If I don't, then you will die."

"But if you do, then you will die." Hugo could feel the tears falling freely down his cheeks.

"Don't worry.  It'll be ok..."  Varian promised, giving the best smile he could muster.

"No, it won't!"  Hugo's arms were grabbed by the guards and they yanked him to his feet.  "No, Varian!  You can't do this!  Please!  For once in your life!  Just think about yourself!"

"But I am thinking about myself, Hugo..." Varian whisper.  Hugo was ripped from his reach.  "Get as far away from here as you can."

With that Hugo got one more tearful look of the love of his life before being dragged out of the room and out of view.  "Varian!"

The teen bowed his head, tears gushing down his cheeks.  His shoulders slumped as he realized what he had just agreed to.  All hope of ever being free of his tormentor's clutches was starting to fade.

"I think you're punishing yourself far more than I could," the man chuckled.  I suppose you'll handle learning this lesson on you own, Little Blue."  He crouched down and cupped Varian's face.  "This is what happens when you cheat me.  I won't forgive you or the other a second time."

Varian looked down and nodded, understanding the threat very well.  The man stood up and walked out the door and slammed it shut.  Varian could hear the click of the door being locked and then silence.  He was left alone in his tears of sorrow as he sobbed more loudly.  This was all his fault because he asked Hugo to stay.

A plan.  Varian had to form a plan.  He needed Hugo to stay away because Mazouwi would use him as leverage.  He hoped Hugo had the brains to realize his warning was a plead with more than just Varian requesting his safety.

Hugo was shoved out the door and landed on his back in the grass.  He stumbled to get up, but he ran as quickly as he could before Mazouwi changed his mind about not killing him.  He needed to be alive to save Varian, but how?

Varian pleaded with him to stay away.  He supposed he would do that until he had a plan.  His heart felt like it was being torn to pieces leaving Varian behind.

"Mark my words, Mazouwi," Hugo panted.  "You're going pay with what you've done to him.   If it's the last thing I'll do, I'll make sure you'll regret ever laying eyes on him."