~𝔍𝕮~

"And he spoke to you?" Jace asked as he held out the necklace that was given to Clary by her mother

"Mhm, He said my name." Clary said, terrified. "He said 'your mother for the Cup'."
"Are you sure?" I asked placing a hand on her shoulder as she hummed in response.
"Who said that?" Alec said from behind. I did not even realize that he was standing there.
"Valentine." We said in unison.
"He's with my mother." Clary.
"And he can speak to you through that necklace?" Alec asked. "Here, in the institute?"
Clary nodded. "It's like when I saw Dot." I took the necklace from Jace to see the details of it.
"It's a portal shard." I said.
"That's why your mother made sure you had it."
"All I know is what I saw...My mother's alive." Clary. "She's unconscious, but alive."
"Where are they?" Alec asked.
"I don't know." Clary stammered.
"But you said you saw them. Where there any identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?"
"I don't remember. It was awful."
"Alec, lighten up."
"I'm trying to get something we can use out of this." Alec replied. "Clary, what did you see, exactly?"
"Valentine has my mother. That's what I saw."
"Emotions are nothing but a distraction. You're ruled by them. We're taught to control them." I rolled my eyes.
"And how is that working out for ya?" Clary snapped.
"It is my job to protect the institute. If Valentine can see in, that's a door I have to shut." Alec bursted out. "Now...let me take a look at that thing." He stretched out his hand for me to give it. I hesitated for moment but I gave him. "Now it's in the proper hands." He walked out with it.
"Hey!" Clary called out as we followed him. "Alec,where are you going?"
"To put this somewhere safe. Where no one could be tempted to use it."
"We should use it. Alec, we should use it to find Valentine." Jace suggested.
"If I were Valentine. I'd make you think that you could rescue Jocelyn." Alec said as we made our way up the stairs. "And I'd lure Clary to me and leverage her life for the Cup." He took out his stele and ran it over a rune on the floor to reveal a small compact box.
"I like Jace's idea."
"Of course you do." I said and it was ignored.
"We saved Simon from the vampires that way."
"Yeah...vampires. Bored, decadent, self-involved vampires." He said as he placed the shard in the compact box. "Valentine is a real threat." He said running his stele over the rune again to close it. "He can't be handled by four-and-a-half shadowhunters."
"Five." Clary said.
"I think he meant that 'half' to me."
"No." He replied with a stern voice and directed his eyes back to Clary. "Whatever. Leave it there." He sounded dead serious and walked off. I decided not to follow him after all of that.
***