CHAPTER 19: The Interrogation

The biggest suspense of life is that...
You don't know who is praying for you and who is playing with you. ~Anonymous

"Is this necessary?" I asked Adriano. We were inside a room, a long glass wall was in front of us through which only we could see and hear the people on the other side. Aunt and her ex-husband sat in the other room where they were to get interrogated. Honestly, their faces showed that they were about to piss their pants due to fear. I thought it was a bit much for the starters but Adriano had a little different view about this.

He said "Absolutely. They won't tell us the truth until they actually get aware of the consequence of lying. They will only tell us when we make them afraid of the consequences. Do you think they'll just speak about the truth without any effort from us? We are talking about 'the devil' here, who Aunt was so scared to talk about during the phone call. Do u think she'll risk her life by telling us about the devil? We need to take it out of her and the best way to do that is to show them what fear is." Adriano replied with his hands in his pocket.

Daniel was interrogating them and every time he shouted or when he put the gun on the table, both of them shivered but neither of them answered anything. All they said was that they had no idea about what he was talking about. Lies, all lies.

"This isn't gonna work," Adriano said and sighed.
"We need to go and talk to them ourselves." He said.

My eyes widened at his statement "We? You mean you and me?" I said. I can't do a face-to-face chat with her. She has hated me her entire life and now has been doing conspiracy against me. I don't think I am strong enough to face her.

"Yes we as in you and me. Look Alice I know it's hard for you to face her when you know she was the one who helped the 'devil' to make your life miserable, but this is the only way. You and I are the only ones who know about her, about what she said during the call. We have a better chance to get information from her. Please do this." He said pleadingly. I should be the one pleading with him to help me not the other way. He is helping me without me asking him for it. He really does have a heart of gold.

"Okay," I whispered and started playing with the hem of my shirt out of nervousness.

"It's gonna be ok. I'll be there with you" He said putting his hand on my hands, stopping them from playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Let's go." He said and held my hand ever so slowly as if he was asking for permission. I took a deep intake of breath and stepped into the room where my aunt and her ex sat.

Adriano opened the door and I followed them inside

Adriano opened the door and I followed them inside. He was still holding my hand. Aunt glared at me. Wow! The nerve of this woman. Even after doing everything, after destroying my life and making me experience hell, she still has no remorse, no guilt. I don't know how to stop my tears from falling. Tears are stubborn drops of water that fall when you are angry, sad, or happy. Right now I don't know if I am more sad or angry. I am constantly trying to blink them back and we haven't even started interrogating her. I don't know how am I going to spend the time inside this room and listen to the truth. I am so scared of the revelation of truth.
We both sat on the two chairs in front of Aunt and her ex-husband. I sat in front of aunt Mel and Adriano sat in front of her ex.

"Why are you doing this Adriano. Has this bitch manipulated you? How can you believe anything she said? She had betrayed you. Don't you remember?" Aunt spits her words with anger and venom.

"I don't believe you can be this evil. I've heard everything you both talked about during the call. What do you think of me? I am not a fool to believe your lies. You've tried this trick of yours on me ample of times. You've always wanted me to hate Alice for one mistake she did in the past while you've been betraying all of us for a long time. You've tried to destroy our lives. You've destroyed Alice's life. I won't ask you again, tell me Who is Devil? And before you say you don't know let me tell you if you lie or do not answer, I am not gonna leave you both. Not even your daughters. So you are gonna put your daughter's life in danger. Daniel here already has a lot of proof against you people. No matter what you do, you're going to jail but if you tell us the truth, I can be lenient on you and help you to reduce your sentence." Adriano said the words in a threatening tone.

Both of their faces lost all the blood. They knew they had no other way to escape from this. Adriano does what he says and everyone knows this.

"No! Please don't do anything to my daughters. I'll tell you the truth but I have a condition." She said. Tears were flowing like a waterfall from her eyes.

"You don't have any right to put condi-" Before Adriano could complete his sentence, her ex broke him abruptly and said "Please just listen to us once"

"You need to promise us that you'll make sure you protect my kids because once I tell you about the devil, all of us will be in danger. The devil won't leave anyone." Aunt said.

"You don't have to worry about your safety. Until and unless you are in my house you are safe. But if you really are afraid of the devil, I'll provide you with security. I have one of the best and most well-trained people. You won't have to worry" Adriano said.

Both their faces relaxed after he said that.

"Now the truth" Adriano said. I was thankful I didn't have to speak but now I am scared. Scared to find out the truth.

Aunt's ex-husband started speaking "My name is Max. I am Mel's ex-husband. We divorced just after Anna and Maria were born because we never loved each other and I had found the person I loved. I love my kids but Mel was so angry at me that she demanded their custody. I agreed because I was so in love with the woman I was going to marry but I always sent money and resources for them and in return, she used to send me their pictures. Those were enough for me to be happy.
My wife was very rich. She already had a son who was 6 at the time. She was a businesswoman just like both your fathers. I was genuinely in love with her, not her money but soon I realized she had never loved me. She was a crazy woman. She was a psychopath. She divorced me and threatened both of us to help her in her plan and so we had to help her otherwise she would've killed all of us"

"Threatened you, killed you. What do you mean?" I couldn't help but ask him.

"You asked for the devil, I told you" Max replied.

Adriano and my eyes widened. Omg!

"Who is she? What's her name?" I asked.

"Caterina Roman" He replied.

"What?" Both my and Adriano's eyes widened as we said this in unison.

Omg! SHE IS THE DEVIL.

******

******

A/N: Hey guys!
How did you like this chapter?
Let's find out who Caterina Roman is? How many of you thought Jane was the Devil? Because I've heard some of my readers guess so. This book is still incomplete. The next few chapters are going to be full of action, mystery, and romance

Stay tuned:)

Don't forget to vote, follow, comment and share.

Spread love ❣

~Love 𝔅♛ 

*******