Chapter 2

It revealed a man.

An unfamiliar male species in my room!

I jump up and try to find my dupatta to cover my modesty as I was wearing a low cut top and shorts for my pyjamas.

"Oh darling." The strange man started. "Don't bother covering up now. I'll be your husband in a few hours."

My hands stop fumbling as the words leave his mouth.

I turn to stare at him. To check if he's telling the truth. But he seems genuine.

Dad was actually planning to sell me off. To this man was practically my owner.

The thought of it, the betrayal, the harsh words, the fact that my mom knew that this might happen. My eyes started tearing up again and the situation I was in became too much.

My father never loved me. All those times he smiled at me affectionately, the times he laughed at my jokes, the days he stood front and centre at any of my award evenings for schools they...they were all lies.

And that pierced my heart even more.

Nothing was genuine. It never had been.

I felt a grip around my waist as I was trying to control my breathing.

An unfamiliar pair of arms. Ones that I would weigh me down, they would keep me at the floor if the ocean when I'm scrabbling for air. They would keep me chained in a dark room when all I desire is light.

They would be the very arms which would set my body on fire yet put out the fire and tend to my wounds.

But I didn't know that at the time.

I didn't know that the one man I was meant to love and find love in would be the one to hurt me to such an extent.

I should known, but I didn't. Because how much can one fight with their destiny.

What's written is written. It will definitely happen. Only Allah knows best.

He never burdens a soul more than it can take.

But I never remembered those words at that moment.

The only thing that ran through my mind was: I don't want this.

I feel my hair being moved off my shoulder and heavy weight pleading itself on there.

I feel something prickly rubbing into my skin. I stilled, but nonetheless let the tears flow.

"Now, now Jaaneman. Don't you dare cry." He then leaned into my ear.

"You have the rest of our married life for such breakdowns." I pushed away his arms as if they were burning me.

"No." I say shaking my head. "No. I won't marry you." I was hysterical now, how could everyone just start making decisions for me out of the blue. Why was no one taking into account what I was feeling?

"No?" He questioned, cocking his head ever so slightly.

"No." I agree, admitting my defeat.

"Oh, but your answer can never be no towards me." He stated menacingly.

He turned her round to his face him and he bore his eyes into hers.

"My jaan, do you know what naseeb is?"

I nod my head.

"Do you believe in naseeb?"

I nod my head again, meekly this time.