Chapter 19

So, um, Wattpad doesn't have alternative fonts. I had Nehcor's voice in another font, but since that font can't show up, when he talks it's in single quotation marks ' ' like so. Ex: 'I'm a fantasy nerd ginger, but I'm a god, so you can't call me a geek.' Sorry about that. Hope it's not too confusing.--CRAP!! That's what I forgot to do when I was editing the manuscript for Kindle! Nechor damn it!!

__________________________________________

The priest who opened the door for us was dressed in a white robe trimmed in gold. I had half expected a priest to be wearing the loose, one layered yukata I'd seen Nehcor wear, but this multi-layered visage made me think more of catholic priests, funny little cap included.

He smiled at first, opening his mouth to greet us, only for that mouth to close into a frown on seeing Gus. I looked over to see Gus with his eyes to the floor.

"Welcome to the temple of Necor," said the priest, his gaze still on Gus. "I'm sorry, miss, but are his eyes red?"

"Of course not. They're maroon," and before he could say that was the same thing, I babbled on like a stereotypical airhead desperate for salvation, "This is the main hall opened to all worshipers, right? Oh, I do hope so, I haven't had the chance to petition god since I left my country and my family died and I've come all this way to feel his succoring grace, my only lifeline left—please, you do understand what I'm saying, don't you? I did try my best to learn the language before bringing myself to this holy place."

He took my pause for breath as a chance to usher me inside, his frown back to a twitching smile.

"Of course, of course, young sister. God's arms are open to you."

"Thank you, thank you so much, god bless. God bless, yes, you're so kind, sir."

I kept up a tirade of platitudes until the priest had turned and scrambled away to a side hall, where I could see gold-leaf doors dotting every several feet or so. Graceful pillars and arcs held up the floors of the second floor, left open to the pantheon-like-ceilings. Murals of the heavens, chubby cherubim and angels included, covered the expanse, lit up by the clear glass windows so high, high up.

"Wow," I said, annoying practitioner act forgotten. "That's really nice."

Gus snickered. "Well, are you desperate for some succoring grace of not?"

"Something like that."

Benches, made of a curling, beautiful white wood, lined the mass majority of the great hall. Worshipers sat in these, some with their heads bound, others reading tiny books that I assumed to be scriptures, others more murmuring to each other in whispers. It gave the gorgeous room a heavy, reverent air.

But the focus of said giant room wasn't the vast ceiling covered in murals, the glittering walls, and random gold leafed trim and highlights. It was the pure white, giant statue of a man, standing at the end with his arms held out, expression as condescending as it was gentle and regal.

I came to a stop in front of it, not daring to go up the steps to the alter at its feet, which was burning with incense, candles, and a large white leather book.

No matter how hard I looked, it looked nothing like him. For one, it didn't have that sly, mischievous slant to his eyes, and the statue had a beard. Last I'd seen him, Nehcor was clean-shaven, and even had a bit of a butt chin—excuse me, cleft chin. His ears had also stuck out the side of his head. This statue had flowing, wavy locks down to his elbows like a girl.

Gus's elbow to my side brought my gaze back down. He jerked his chin towards the side, where another priest was watching with a funny look on his face. He was younger than the one who had greeted us at the door, and he didn't wear a hat. Not that it mattered. I'm pretty sure I had a very disrespectful look on my face.