Chapter 66

At the temple, Nehcor was more than happy to explain to me how to fix Gus's problems, as well as to try and chat me up about how his wife was constantly tipping back and forth between shipping me with Roman and Derrick. Today was a Roman day, though, so Nehcor hinted that I should have a little more tea time with him, if I knew which he meant, which I insisted I didn't before shutting him down before he made me pass out again.

Gus was waiting for me when I returned home, already use to me coming home from the temple exhausted and kept his hand on my wrist the entire time we were walking back to my room. It warmed me, even as I nod off every third step.

Roman woke me up sometime around dinner when he came to visit my room. I had somehow managed to fall asleep on the rug instead of my bed, and Gus had stayed nearby with a book.

He let Roman in with open displeasure on his face.

"Are you alright? I just heard from Sir Fairenson," he said, expression bunched with concern when he saw me sleeping on the floor. "That can't be comfortable."

"She's fine, your grace. She always comes back from the temple tired. It has to do with her divine magic," said Gus.

I quietly applauded his ready excuse. That's right. Magic. Everything is about the magic. Not the chatty older brother who happens to be a god sucking away at my energy as the toll for using the phone line—why couldn't he spend his own damn energy?

"I'll have dinner sent up here, and I'll request my doctor to recommend foods that help with energy. Would you like some tea as well, Lillian?"

Gus's eyebrows went high at the word 'tea.'

I sat up wearily and rubbed at my eyes, thankful I had decided to wear my blue/green color changing dress today which didn't have the waist coat, making it much more comfortable for naps.

"That sounds wonderful, but don't go out of your way. I'm really fine."

"No, this is my pleasure. If anything it's just my investment towards having our regular teatime as soon as possible."

Gus's eyebrows went higher. "Regular tea time?"

I made sure not to meet his eye. It wasn't that hard, as my face was all but in the carpet.

After being reassured that I was indeed just a tired chick weird enough to sleep on the floor, Roman left and I got to face Gus.

"Regular tea time?" he said, eyebrows lowered and expression flat.

"Just something we do before lunch while you're exercising," I said with a lazy flip of my hand. "While we wait on lunch, he and I will have tea together. Fifteen minutes tops. It's not a big deal. He's nice to talk to."

The last thing was not the right thing to say. I could tell the moment I said it, even as Gus's gaze darkened. Immediately, I hated the feeling of making excuses to a jealous lover, but was too tired to start up that can of worms.

Thankfully, Gus had matured enough not to react in a fight, but he didn't bother saying anything to me the rest of the evening, which suited me just fine as I was sleepy as heck. He probably figured, correctly, that it was something unavoidable, seeing as I was now working and living with the guy.

I didn't implement my new found knowledge until I'd talked to the old knight who oversaw Gus's conditioning and our shared tutor about getting a few days off for 'master-apprentice' time, aka, healer lessons between me and Gus. But it wasn't I who would be needing the few days, but Gus.

Next step was to obtain a bottle of calcium carbonate pills, aka, tums without the cute fruity flavors.

"To supply your body with the extra calcium to build the bones," I said, shaking the bottle when Gus gave me a curious look.