Chapter 20

The priest smiled in relief and stepped aside for us as we got out of the pew. He gestured to one of the gold doors far off to the side and I followed him. With how shiny the door was, I figured I was supposed to assume there'd be equal treasures on the otherside, so I decided to be contrary in my tired state and expect white bricks and a naked stone floor.

But, of course, there had to be gold gilded mirrors facing each other from opposing walls and a freaking crystal chandelier from the ceiling. The walls in here glittered like they did outside too. At the center was a cushioned stump of sorts for someone to sit on, maybe an alter? If alters were meant to be sat on. There were chairs around the room too.

The priest gestured to the fuzzy stump and I obediently sat on it. I caught sight of an infinity of me's in the reflection of the two mirrors, going on forever till they curved out of sight.

Curious, how that was. That because it went on forever it started to curve.

"Have you ever had a blessing before?" asked the priest.

"No."

"Well, I'll need your name and I'll be putting my hands on your shoulders. I'm sorry for how random this is, I just...well, it would be hard to explain the sensation. I promise I have no ulterior motive for this."

"I believe you," I said. "I'll just take it as one of your priestly duties, randomly tossing out blessings." Like T-shirts at a pep rally.

"Um...not entirely..."

"Blessings are a rare thing, Lilly," said Gus, who had been keeping his eyes to the floor, though it didn't hide his curious grin. "They're usually given to those who have received callings of the priesthood or when those with the authority are moved to give said blessings."

So he got the feeling Nehcor was telling him to give me a blessing, which he was. Cool. I wanted my present now so I could go to sleep.

The priest cleared his throat. "May I have your name, sister?"

"Lillian."

"Is that your full name?"

I hesitated. For some reason, I thought of my name when I'd been married, and that irritated me. Of course I was going to give my REAL name.

"Lillian Maybeth Strobelt." My maiden name.

If he thought my name weird, he didn't say anything. Only set his warm hands upon my shoulders and murmured for me to close my eyes and bow my head.

"Lillian Maybeth Strobelt, by the name of Nehcor, god and king above, I give you this blessing. May you be guided in wisdom in your life and the necessary tools for your goals be found. Also..." he hesitated. "I bless you that your magical capacity may be increased." This seemed to confuse the priest for a moment, for I could hear the smacking of his mouth opening and closing several times before he ended with, "I seal this blessing upon you and make an end."

And then his hands were gone.

What? Not an 'amen' or a 'halleluiah'? Or a promise for a lifetime supply of chocolate without getting fat?

Gal, Nehcor was cheap.

"Thank you," I said, wondering if I could stand up or not.

"Just doing my job. But, um, before you leave, I have something else I feel that I should give you. If you could just wait here."

The door closed behind him. It wasn't gold on this side, but a polished pale wood.

"Lucky you, you got a blessing even with a child of the devil by your side," said Gus with a wry snicker.