Chapter Five

WHEN THEY GOT TO THE HOW, SHE spread her arms wide and gestured to the grasslands

"This is not much," he said, narrowing his eyes at the meadow and the couple of fauns that were scattered around, looking out for any Telmarine soldiers.

She scoffed, "I'm sorry you royal pain in the arse," she said before knocking on the stone.

Selena looked back at Caspian before the large rock was rolled out of the way, revealing a room inside. She stepped in, Caspian hesitantly following her in.

He looked around at the fort, Narnians were building shields and swords in every area of the room. The army was larger than he, or even his uncle, had ever imagined.

As she walked through, the troops stopped working, looking up at her. She smiled at them as she walked past.

Caspian bad never seen a general so close with their troops before, but she knew everyone's lives, everyone's stories. She was something else completely.

When Selena walked out of the room, they started working again. A large centaur that Caspian recognised from the woods came and walked next to her.

"My general," he said, bowing his head slightly before looking at Caspian, "Your highness,"

"Good morning Glenstorm, whats the latest news?" She asked as she grabbed a torch, the three heading down a hallway covered in art works like a story.

"Is this the Kings and Queens?" He asked, the other two stopping as they saw Caspian gawking at the artwork.

"Yes, drawn by the Faun Sir Tumnus the humane himself," she said before continuing her walk, Caspian trailing after.

"This," she said, entering a new room, "Is the stone table on which Aslan sacraficed himself in place of King Edmund the Just,"

Caspian looked up at the large carving of Aslan that watched over them before looking down at the table.

"This is the heritage, a sacred place from Narnians history, our history," she explained.

"Its amazing," he said, wandering around the room and looking at all the smaller carvings and drawings that depicted the great Aslan.

"Well we don't have much time your highness, we have a war against your relatives to win," she explained before preparing to leave.

He was still shocked that all ofthis existed and nobody had ever really cared, or maybe they just didn't know.

"Are you coming or not Caspian?" She asked as she turned around, standing at the archway. He nodded his head, rushing after her with one last look at the scene.

☆☆☆

CASPIAN WATCHED HER FROM THE other side of the room as she talked to the troops, pointing at the map and commanding it on what to do and how they could hold off the armies.

He had never experienced a strong woman in such a powerful position. She was smart but overly persistent. Strong but arrogant. He didn't like it at all.

"Selena grew up in the Telmarine courts," Trufflehunter explained as he saw Caspian.

"I would have known her," he said, looking over at the girl as she pulled her black hair behind her head, "I would have,"

"She was six when her parents were exiled by your father, killed by your uncle, Merissa and Andres," he explained.

"Lord and Lady Dorana," he whispered under his breath. Caspian knew about the two from his studies, they wanted to save the Narnians from extinction and Miraz ordered his brother to kill them both, and when he only exiled them, Miraz finished the job.

"She had ran through the woods, bloody and cold when we found her," Trufflehunter explained, "We raised her, taught her to fight, and in return, she built this army,"

Caspian seemed shocked. He was someone that had been handed everything on a silver platter, and he assumed this girl was given this army as well.

But she had fought for it, fought for this country and for freedom. It explained why she was so cold towards Caspian most of the time.

"Tell me more," Caspian said, the words sounding like a beg.

Trufflehunter shook his head, looking over at Selena who was laughing with some of the troops. He cared about the girl too much to tell her entire life story to a man she just met.

"You know she would be a suitable queen, we always did say that," the Badger said.

Caspian went red, shaking his head. He didn't like her at all, not even in that way.

But he couldn't help but wonder if she'd stayed at the courts, would they have fallen for each other? Would she still be so obnoxious? Or would he have fallen for the girl behind the shield she had raised.

"I didn't mean it in that way, she's annoying and makes rash decisions," he said before chuckling to himself, "I'm just interested, that's all,"

"You tell yourself that kid," he said before leaving Caspian alone, staring at the girl with wonder.

1020 words