Chapter Thirteen

xiii

xiii. the battle

CASPIAN HAD SPOTTED THEM OVER THE hill. The Telmarine army had approached and were ready to fight, with number far greater than those that the Narnians had.

As Peter explained his plan to everyone in the war room, Trumpkin shook his head, "Thats your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest part of the forests alone?" He questioned.

"It our only chance, and she won't be alone," Selena said, smiling at the young girl and Trumpkin.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asked, refrencing the fact that he had to kill one of his best friends earlier that day.

"Then I'm going with you and Selena, I can be backup," Trumpkin said.

"No, we need you here," Selena said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Selena get back," Peter explained.

"If I may," Caspian said and everyone looked at him as he sat in the corner, "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer but as king he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time,"

He explained that they could demand Miraz to have a fight to the death since he would have to do it to keep his reputation.

"I think thats the best thing you've said since you've been here," Selena said, a slight smile on her face as she looked at him.

He was warming to her, she didn't get on his nerves anymore and he didn't understood why she did what she did.

☆☆☆

LATER THAT DAY, SELENA WALKED into the How with Caspian and Lucy as the two girls got onto his horse.

"Destrier has always served me well. You are in good hands," he said and she smiled at him.

"I think I can handle myself by now don't you think?" She said.

He looked up at her, a strange expression on his face as he looked at her like that for the first time. She looked beautiful, and he wanted to tell her that, despite all her arrogance and annoying tendencies.

"Why don't you just draw me, it will last longer?" She asked, a smirk on her face.

Lucy chuckled, watching as Caspian blushed and looked away, "I don't know what you're talking about," he replied.

They were silent for a little while, the two looking at each other. It had always been awkward, but for the first time since they had gotten to Narnia, they felt comfortable with each other.

"Look, Susan would want you to have this," he said, holding the horn out towards her.

"Why don't you hold onto it? You know by now that I can handle myself," she said before starting to ride off away from him.