Chapter Ten

x

x. don't touch him

"WE DONT WANT YOU TO DO THAT either," Susan said, aiming her bow and arrow at the woman as her and Peter walked into the room.

"This used to be a private room," Miraz said with his hands on his hips, a sense of sarcasm in his voice.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be in the gatehouse?" Peter asked, looking at them with confusion.

"I tried, he won't listen," Selena stated.

"No!" Caspian yelled out, turning his anger back to his uncle, "Tonight for once, I want the truth. Did you kill my father?"

"Now we get to it," Miraz said, all but admitting that he had killed the last king of Telmar.

"You said your brother died in his sleep," his wife said, a questioning tone to her voice.

"Caspian, this won't make things any better," Susan stated, but he didn't listen to her any more than he listened to Selena.

"We Telmarines would have nothing had we not taken it," Miraz said, "Your father knew that as well as anyone, ask your friend over there,

"How could you?" His wife questioned. She seemed horrified at the fact that her husband didn't get that throne justly.

"For the same reason that you will pull that trigger. For our son," Miraz said, Caspian holding the knife to his throat, "Do you want our son to be King? Or do you want him to be like Caspian here? Fatherless,"

With a yell, Miraz's wife pulled the trigger, shooting Caspian in the shoulder which allowed Miraz to slip out of the room and call the troops.

Selena rushed up to him, helping him up as she checked in the arrow wound in his shoulder.

He was bleeding and she knew that there could be huge problems with that fact. "Damn you Caspian," she said as she heard the bells go off.

"We have to go," he said, getting up and holding one hand onto the wound.

"You're injured," she justified, ripping off a strip of her shirt and tying it around the wound to keep pressure on it.

"I still have to fight. For Narnia," he said and she nodded, the four of them running towards the courtyard as they saw Telmarines start to get up and fight.

"Peter! Where are you going?" Selena asked as she saw Peter run towards the gate.

"Our troops are just outside, come on," he called out and they ran to the courtyard, Edmund fighting a Telmarine before signalling for the troops.

"Peter, it's too late. We have to call this off while we still can," Susan tried to reason with him as he attempted to open the gate all by himself.

"No, I can do this! Help me!" He exclaimed and the three others rushed over to open the gate with him.

"Who are you doing this for? Yourself, or our troops?" Selena asked, the boy ignoring her as they continued to open the gates.

Telmarines rushed into the courtyard, they were going to be ambushed but Peter didn't care. In hindsight, she could have done something, but Selena didn't know what.

They rushed into battle with their troops, the girl slamming her sword into the Telmarines and fighting them all off.

She watched as Caspian killed his own people, coming to Selenas defense as they were cornered by a group of Telmarines.

They looked at each other, the girl sliding down and cutting through the two mens legs, Caspian then stabbing the first one whilst Selena fought off the other one.

By the end of it, the Telmarines were overwhelming the Narnian troops and she knew they couldn't last much longer.

"Peter! We have to fall back!" She yelled out, watching as the Telmarines killed one of their minotaurs.

He nodded his head, agreeing with her for the first time since they had arrived here, "Fall back!" He commanded the troops as the gate started to close.

She knew they didn't have enough time to get all of their army back to the How. One of their Minotaurs held the gate open as Peter yelled for them all to retreat.

Glenstorm picked up Susan, taking her out of the battle whilst Caspian ran off somewhere.

She noticed one of them were rushing towards Caspuan with a bow nd arrow. If she didn't help now, he would make it. She managed to kill him but being distracted, she let her guard down.

In doing that, she didnrsee the sword hurtling towards her. She gasped in pain as she felt a searing wound in her side. As Selena looked down, one of the Telmarines had sliced through her armour and she was bleeding.

As she looked around, ready to die, she saw Caspian ride out on two horses. He instantly knew something was wrong and rushed towards her, holding a hand out.

She weakly grabbed it, allowing him to help her up onto the horse as she begrudgingly wrapped her arms around his waist.

Peter jumped onto one of the other horses as he waited for the others to leave. But then Miraz shot the Minotaur and he collapsed just after the three and Cornelius had left the gate.

"You alright," he asked and she shook her head weakly, resting it on his back.

He knew something was really, really wrong now. She hated his guts and the fact that she was being so touchy feely was not in her character. She must have been injured.

And if he would have looked behind him, he would have seen her clothing her wound with one hand, the blood soaking through her hands.

She took one last look at her friends, her troops, her family. They were stuck and she couldn't help them, they were begging them to run and save themselves and she knew it was the right thing to do.

She looked up and saw the Griffin above them, a sign that Edmund was still alive and had made it out okay.

Selena wasn't emotional. But then, in that moment as she lost her troops, she sobbed onto Caspians back. From the pain of losing her friends and the pain in her side.

It was easing up and she wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not, but as they rode off into the distance, she didn't know how long she'd last.

1264 words