Chapter Sixteen

xvi

xvi. goodbye to narnia

THE NEXT MORNING, SHE WALKED through the grounds of the Telmarine castle, the place that she was going to live in now as a Queen of Narnia.

It was a crazy idea, that she was now a leader and was tasked with caring for all of these people, but she knew she wouldn't wish for anything else.

She walked up to the youngest two Pevensie siblings and watched as their older siblings approached, a melancholy look on their faces.

Caspian approached her, the two of them standing in the courtyard together, "Your highness," he said with a slight bow and she chuckled.

"Don't think I like you any better now that we're leading this country," she said, pursing her lips to hide her smile.

"Wouldn't ever think you would Selena," he said before the Pevensies walked over.

Together, the four of them walked to the hall where all the Telmarines were standing with Aslan, Lucy and Edmund.

Caspian stood in front of the crowd of Telmarines, "Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it does to man. Any Telmarine who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to," he announced

They looked confused but he carried on with his speech, "To any of those who wish to leave, Aslan will return you to the home of out forefathers,"

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," A man in the crowd stated.

"We're not referring to Telmar," Aslan said, "Your ancestors were pirates run onto an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our Kings and Queens. It is a good place to any who want a fresh start,"

"I will go," a voice said and everyone turned to see Glozelle, now with a scar over his eye, accept the offer.

He walked up to Aslan, Mirazs wife Prunaprismia also going with her newborn child. Caspian looked up at them, nodding his head.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan said before he breathed on them, the tree opening up to reveal a gateway.

Everyone gasped as they watched the small gateway grow, the three people walking through it and instantly disappearing.

"How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" One of the men in the crowd yelled.

"We'll go," Peter said, "Come on, our times up. After all, we're not really needed here anymore,"

He walked over to where Caspian and Selena was standing. He handed the sword over to the girl who had assumed he was going to hand it to Caspian.

"We will look after it until you return," Selena said, looking over at Caspian as she accepted the sword.

'I'm afraid that's just it. We're not coming back," Susan said, a wave of shock flashing across Caspians face. And for some reason, it really hurt Selena to see that.

"We're not?" Lucy asked, a heartbroken tone to her voice.

"You two are, at least, I think he means you two," He said before going to stand with his siblings again.

"Why? Did they do something wrong?" The young girl asked Aslan.

He chuckled, "Quite the opposite dear one. But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learnt what they have from this world and now its time they learn from their own," he said.

"Its okay Lu. It's not what I thought it would be, but its alright," Peter said, taking his sisters hand as the four said goodbye to everyone.

Susan smiled half heartedly at Caspian and Selena felt almost upset at the way he looked at her, like he was heartbroken.

The four walked through the portal, leaving into their own world. They were gone in an instant.

Caspian and Selena turned and looked at their people before taking hands, raising them up in a show of solidarity.

☆☆☆

LATER THAT NIGHT, SELENA LAY IN bed, it was much grander than any bed bed she'd ever slept in before but I guess thats the perks of being Queen.

But as she slept, nightmares seemed to plague her, the continuous feeling of having let down so many of her troops was something that would never leave her.

She awoke with a scream, tears in her eyes and sweat forming around her brow. She took a deep breath, looking around the room.

She heard a loud noise, grabbing her knife as Caspian stormed into the room, holding his sword as he surveyed the area.

He let out a sigh of relief when he saw she was okay and that it was just a nightmare, "Sorry, I thought you were in trouble, I'll go,"

He turned to the door, his hand on the handle. He was about to leave when he heard her call his name.

"Caspian," he turned back to look at her, "Can you stay, please? I don't really want to be alone right now,"

He nodded, coming to sit down on the bed next to her, "Its not like I can sleep anyway," he said and she chuckled.

They sat there, talking about all their problems, their fears, their nightmares and everything that had plagued them on their journey to get where they are.

At some point, Selena had fallen asleep, her head lulling on his shoulder. He smiled at the soft snores that came from the girl.

She was beautiful and he'd always thought it but never had a chance, so maybe now he did. He wished he could tell her how he felt, but the burden of the crown was one they both bore and he didn't know how they would navigate through monarchy and love.

Eventually, Caspian lay his head on top of hers, the two drifting off into sleep. This would be the first of many nights that they'd end up like this, in a platonic embrace to wash away their fears.

1093 words