Chapter 13: shock therapy

Shoto Todoroki

Friday, a final school day without Bakugo there. Kirishima briefly mentioned to me this morning in class that we were all meeting up tomorrow night to get this project properly done, which was properly depressing. School project on a Saturday night, not my ideal expenditure of time. I was hardly the type to go out on the town or whatever, but it was still my relaxing time, being taken away from me. The one positive in this scenario was that I'd get a little more time with Bakugo.

I was...a little worried about him, given what he'd told me about how frequent he gets ill. It was almost certainly unusual, and I hated that he had been suffering it without others knowing. On the other hand...caring for him yesterday was rather advantageous. It was a pretty crude coincidence that I felt guilty being grateful for, but I couldn't help my excitement. Especially..

...well, when I kissed him. It wasn't something I'd planned, was most definitely contradictory of Momo's notes, and left me in a state of panic basically all of the time I was getting ready this morning. I zoned out while Momo angrily gestured at me for not letting her know when I'd be back, and barely even remember making a coffee!

Despite not planning it, it certainly wasn't a regret. I saw it much more as a personal success, a little win for my confidence. Even if he did reject me, having the guts to try is a big step, so my shoulders felt a lot lighter thinking about the blond now. He has seemed pretty receptive to me, and at risk of sounding overconfident, I couldn't shake the sneaking suspicion that he was into me. It just...made everything make sense! The sweet nature, the gorgeous smell, the fucking cuddling! From what I'd heard, trying to even talk to Bakugo had him screaming insults at people, but I didn't see any of that. I just saw perfection, trapped in the body of an imperfect boy, who just so happened to be rather nice to look at. Not that it was a bad thing that he had his flaws! To be honest, knowing and accepting that he wasn't perfect made him seem even better to me. It made me feel like he wasn't stooping so far to get to my level, which was yet another minor confidence gain.

But anyway, it's Friday, he's not here, so nothing interesting happened. The only real drama came at lunch, when I told Momo about kissing his cheek. Her face told me she wanted to strangle me, but she kept cracking a smile every now and then, an attempt made at suppressing it by wiping her face every so often. There wasn't much conversation around it, since Mina, Kaminari and Kirishima showed up as we were discussing if, but she basically just asked how he reacted to it, and freaked out when I said I didn't stick around to find out. My confidence had grown, but not enough to face my own consequences!

And so, after a dull Friday fretting over many Bakugo-related issues, I arrived at my family house with more to worry about than anything I expected my mother to say.

Of course though, that confidence was soon shattered.

"Shoto! Come, come, I've got some news!!!"

To my mother, "news" in reference to me meant "doctor", which immediately clued me in on how this news was to be presented, and whether to support it or not. Usually, it was the latter, just letting the doctors poke around my brain looking for things that aren't there. Same old story, right?

"Ok, so I've been in touch with Dr Yosano, and she says we should go and see her as soon as possible. She mentioned a 'breakthrough', which makes me think it's pretty important."

Knew it. Dr Yosano always made "breakthroughs", but they were hardly ever the right ones, usually just some pointless crap that didn't result in me getting my hearing back. Still though, humouring mum was the first step of this particular journey.

"Ok, when are we going?"

"Can we do Monday, after your classes?"

"Sure, I'll be here by about two"

"Great, that's that sorted. So, how was your week?"

"...actually, pretty good to be honest"

"Really? What happened to make it that way"

"Well..remember I mentioned that boy last week, the blond?"

"Yes...."

"Well, he came and spoke to me on Monday, and we've been speaking ever since"

"Oh great!"

"There's more. I went over to check up on him yesterday since his roommate said he was unwell, and I spent all afternoon with him yesterday as he was sick. We watched a movie, I was feeding him soup...and it all kinda ended with me sleeping over, and kissing his cheek on my way out this morning!"

"Really?! That's so brave, I could never do that! Well, how did he take it?"

"I don't...actually know, we've not seen each other since."

"Right...how do you think he will?"

"I'm actually pretty confident. I mean, he let me do all those things for him, and the fact that he didn't punch me was a bonus"

"Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! We're full of good news today, aren't we?! So, how is that Momo girl getting along?"

We descended into non-Bakugo related conversation, which was wholly uninteresting, so I paid little attention. Before I knew it, dinner was over, my mother was waving goodbye, and I was approaching the dorm building. Trudging you the spiralling stairs, I contemplated whether to visit Bakugo again, but decided against it, not too fond of the idea of seeming too desperate. Instead, I just allowed myself to drift off to sleep, no sign of Momo in the dorm.

I had no idea what was going on in the next room...
—————————————————————————

C-cliffhanger-chan! 👉👈

Official Twitter sources can confirm that the above statement makes me feel uncomfortable 😌

Fact of the Day: Dr Yosano is another Bungou Stray Dogs character, so WATCH IT, PLEASE !!!