Chapter 24: Aizawa, a nicer man than I realised

Katsuki Bakugo

After...well, that, Shoto seemed to be pretty calm for the rest of the day. The majority of our time in the morning had been us making our way through the heaps of work Aizawa had sent for us. I was convinced the old bastard was telling us to do more than we would've done in class, taking advantage of our absence. He'd told me yesterday that our presentation was well made, but the presenting needed work. Trust those idiots to fuck up all of my hard work, huh?

While I was there, he'd also informed us that he'd be visiting this afternoon, as soon as classes were over. This was a pain in the neck, because I didn't particularly want Shoto to change out of his cute button-up pyjamas, but I could hardly outright refuse his self-invitation. I suppose Shoto looks good in anything, so it wasn't that much of an issue, but still!

To be completely honest, I wasn't sure why the old fucker even cared. Sure, Shoto was his student, but he didn't exactly seem the kindhearted type. It didn't fit my image of him that he'd have more than a millisecond's care for how Shoto was getting on, which is why I was so baffled that he was taking time out of his day to visit.

But he'd said he would, and he most definitely did. The knock on the door made me cringe, because how insensitive can you be?!, and I rushed to let him inside, both because I didn't want to keep him waiting, and because I was worried he would knock again like a moron.

He entered the room with no more than a nod, seemingly having little care for the state of the living room itself. It wasn't so much that it was messy, more just..disorganised. It had taken everything in my power not to scream at Ponytail for keeping it like this, but deep down, I knew this was not her doing. She had her shit together way too much to create a monstrosity such as this, which left Shoto as the only culprit, and I wasn't going to berate him for it. Thus, I bit my tongue, and ignored the flaring urge to clean threatening to overflow inside me.

As soon as Aizawa and Shoto locked eyes, Shoto spoke, clearly trying to impress the superior.

"H-hello...it's nice to see you" he said, his hushed tone still with him. I had a feeling this would always be the way he spoke, barely louder than a whisper. It wasn't so much a bother to me in places such as this, where noise had the potential to echo, and there were no particular distractions that could drown out his words, but I knew it would be more difficult outside of here, especially in crowded public places. That would certainly be a situation I would try and avoid with Shoto, even if just for the near future, at least until he got to grips with his hearing a little more.

Aizawa seemed to pick up on his sensitivity, and spoke in a low tone himself, his deep voice sounding even more brooding than usual. His question was a simple one, just asking how Shoto was coping, but the voice seemed to take Shoto off guard a little bit, and he answered with even more hesitation than usual in his speech. Aizawa didn't seem to notice it too much, and their conversation carried on for a brief few minutes, not really landing on an interesting subject at all. Eventually, Aizawa turned to me, and pulled me over to the corner for a quiet chat.

Shoto went walking off to his bedroom then, and a part of me longed to follow him, to be near him all the time, but I stayed and listened to Aizawa's words.

"...you've been very mature handling this, Bakugo. Well done."

"Yeah, whatever. We..get along, so it's not an effort at all"

"That's good. I think he needs the company, so...if it's not too much to ask, stay with him as much as possible, at least this week."

"Yeah. Not like I've got any other plans or anything"

"Good. And...thank you"

"Don't sweat it."

If he picked up on the surprise in my tone, he never mentioned it. I hadn't known Aizawa to be capable of emotion besides tiredness, but as he spoke, he truly seemed to care about what happened to Shoto, and how he recovered from the trauma of the past 24 hours...

...god, is that all it's been?! It feels like at least a week has passed since we were at the clinic, but nope...just a day. It was really weird, how suddenly his become wrapped up in...well, in Shoto, and his life. To think that only three days ago, we went on the cheesiest, more awkward date known to mankind, and now we were practically inseparable...it wasn't something I was sure I'd ever confidently wrap my head around.

Speaking of being inseparable, he's not with me! I practically spirited down the short hall, putting Usain Bolt to shame, softly knocked on the door to the room I knew he was in. I heard a soft voice giving me permission to enter, and I did so, realising that he'd curled up in bed and was half asleep...at 2 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon.

He weakly smiled up at me, before turning to face away from me, face buried in the pillow as he tried to sleep. I scoffed, but he didn't seem to hear, so I crept into the bed behind him and wrapped two firm arms around his body, before rolling so he was lifted out of his position. He squealed and laughed in my grip, so I let him down and leaned in close, whispering "and that's why you don't ignore me~", gently kissing him once I'd finished. He rolled his eyes and cuddled into my shoulder, and I scoffed again, saying "oh, are we sleeping, are we?"

"Yeah....yeah, we a-are"

"I see..." I said, incredulous at how bossy he'd become. But...to be honest...

A nap doesn't sound too bad.
————————————————

Think I might tone it down on the sad stuff from here, fluff all the way to the end, maybe?

No promises tho, I'm still deciding between two different endings I have thought of! 👀

Fact of the Day: I like the idea of Bakugo being a clean freak. Like, a single spec of dust and he LOSES IT-