Chapter 17: smooth as a mountain range

Katsuki Bakugo

I, Katsuki Bakugo, am absolutely shitting it. There's about half an hour left until I'm due to meet up with Todoroki, and I'm sat naked on my bathroom floor, the room searingly hot after a scalding shower, in a puddle of hot water on the floor. My mind whirred with nerves, a feeling I hadn't experienced for years, the idea of something being so scary I didn't want to face it. I must've been in this room for at least an hour now, the plan being to shower a while before leaving so my hair had ample time to dry. Alas, not even five minutes after I'd finished showering, the whole thing has caught up to me, bringing me pathetically down the wall, bare on the cold tile floor.

It'd been a while since I'd had a proper emotional release like this, and the first I'd ever had because I was happy. The last time I remembered being this in touch with my feelings was...god, probably when my old dog Tomi died when I was 10. I had a knack for boxing up my feelings, but instead of letting them fester, I'd usually just dump them out the other end. This time though, they'd gotten stuck, and were threatening to regurgitate out of my eyes, something I was desperate not to do. Crying was the least of my concerns right now, and I slowly built up the resolve to get back to my feet and get dressed, my stomach still feeling like a thousand fires had been lit inside it.

We'd decided quickly on a casual attire, which was totally appropriate for the little picnic I had planned. Everything was already made, and Shit Hair had been not-useless, going out and getting a few snacky things, cupcakes, juice etc., which I was of course definitely absolutely going to pay him back for someday. It had all been arranged in a very cheesy wicker basket, which gave absolutely everything away immediately, but that wasn't something I was bothered about right now. Knowing that Todoroki wouldn't mind it not being too much a surprise wasn't my concern. It was...me that was the concern.

I just didn't want to fuck it up. Plain and simple, all there is to it. I didn't want the first date I had with a boy I really liked to go absolutely horrendously because of something I said or did. Truthfully, I think it came from my arrogant fear of failure, not wanting to lose in anything. And not having a successful date this afternoon would be like the biggest failure I'd ever had, so naturally I was terrified. Shit Hair could obviously tell, but he never mentioned it, simply backing me up and trying to psych me up for it. It didn't work all that well, and I left the dorm feeling about as unconfident as I had all day.

Knowing that Ponytail would be there, I knocked on the door, and sure enough, she answered with haste. Before allowing me in to see Todoroki, she gave me a very pointed "hurt him and you die" look, which did a wonder for my already shot nerves. She opened the door a little wider, and I saw my date timidly waiting there, already blushing a little bit. This could just be because of embarrassment, but in a twisted way it actually boosted my confidence knowing he was nervous as well. The idea that I wasn't totally crazy for wanting today to be inch perfect just had me falling further, putting even more pressure on myself. But, I'd regained enough of my cool to confidently approach him, gently stroking his soft cheek with the back of a curled finger, before gently offering my hand to him.

He accepted it, and we walked out of the dorm, me picking up the basket I'd lay by my side as I entered. Upon spying it, Todoroki gave me a "really?" look, to which I just playfully pouted. He did another sign he'd done a while ago, making tear-like motions on his face before raising his fists up and down over his chest with a playful smile. I'd forgotten to find out what this one meant, so just pouted further. He made a cooing face, and patted my back patronisingly. It was weird, because if any of the others had even thought about doing that to me, they'd be dead before I could get an apology, but...with Todoroki, it was different. It was almost as if I had unlimited patience for him, an endless supply of happiness and kindness on tap for whenever he rose his beautiful head. It compared so dully to my own personality, me lacking the kind of trickery to intentionally appear anything except mad.

That could well be while a lot of people associate me with anger. Honestly, it sorta hurt, being avoided because people don't like me, but that was something that didn't show. I might have my issues with the idiots, but they were still my friends, in a world where those are sparse.

But anyway, enough rambling about my problems, let's talk about how hot Todoroki is!

He was wearing a thin-looking, almost veiled t-shirt, complete with two chains attached at his hip, hooked into the thin pockets of the skinniest jeans I think I'd ever seen. He also had evidently been brushing his hair, since it bounced up and down when we walked, almost making me laugh. Over the shirt, he wore a dark blue zip-up hoodie made from similarly thin-materials as his shirt. Overall, he's gone for some kind of cute/punk mesh, and it was fucking working!

I had stowed away my notepad in the wicker basket, so it was difficult for me to elaborate as much as I'd like, but I tapped his arm and signed "beautiful. Very beautiful" while pointing at him with my other hand. He blushed at that, tucking an errant hair behind his ear, and responded with "you too", a sign I did know, since it was good for simple responses.

I had nothing quite as striking on, just a big comfy hoodie and jeans, my t-shirt plain black and my hair still damp and only just poofing up how I like it. I had no basis whatsoever for being called beautiful, but I take what I can get. Making our way out of the unremarkable dorm hall, I offered my free hand to Todoroki, leading him to our destination.

By the time we arrived, the hot weather had left the both of us with one incredibly sweaty palm each, which we then both awkwardly wiped on our jeans. Moving swiftly forward, I grabbed the blanket from the basket and lay it down, Todoroki sitting on one corner, myself the other. It was all so...awkward! I'd expected things to be slow, but this wasn't movement at all!

I threw across the notepad for him, and he immediately commented on how much stuff I'd brought.

"I'll get fat if I eat even a third of this!"

I chuckled at that, before signing "still beautiful" to him, which had him looking away with a blush. I seized the chance to crawl over and do what he had to me yesterday, cupping his cheek and making him face me. He didn't resist, and we locked eyes, both trying not to laugh. As soon as I broke, he did, both of us collapsing into laughter, him on top of my chest listening to my own. He had a great ability to get close whenever I spoke to him, always there to pick up the vibrations. I spoke aloud for him as soon as I had composed myself, simply saying "beautiful". He immediately cuddled closer, and I couldn't help but laugh again. He sat up, pouting down at me, so I just laughed more.

"Stop!"

"Why? Funny!"

"Not funny!"

He seemed to come to some realisation, then he grabbed for his notebook, writing something quickly into it. He passed it to me with a slightly worried face, which totally terrified me, but as I read his note, I got happier and happier.

"I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, about my ears. Can..you come? I'm worrying a little about it."

"Of course! What time?"

"I'm meeting mum at home for 2, so I'll come to your dorm about half one. It's a shit second date, but at least you'll get to meet her."

"Hey, I'm more than happy to come with. What do you think is going to happen?"

"I don't know actually. Probably nothing. I've just got a hunch that I'll need you there."

That one hit deep, and instead of answering, I just hugged him, tight. While he was close, I said "anytime you need me, I'm here", really for no purpose other than sappiness, but I meant it, that much was certain.

We had totally abandoned the food, and after eating a bare minimum each, we packed everything up and went back to my dorm. He'd told me about another horror he wanted to see, so I let him find it, setting it up to his preferences and needs. We cuddled up together on the couch once again, and I planted a soft kiss on his forehead just before it started.

Didn't need the excuse of a fever
——————————————————-

Cute date chapter says me!

Tune in next time for some 😟......

Fact of the Day: 🙂