Ch. 2

(actual music this time, wow!)

It was strange how friendly Dream was being to someone he just met. Even Sapnap was surprised.

 He was also surprisingly relaxed, even around Reiner. He respects that the wolf is protective over Y/n, but he does try to gain his trust with some snacks and head pats.

 Another thing that Y/n didn't expect was that Dream didn't act like how one would expect a king to behave. He just acted like your everyday adventurer just having a good time. It felt refreshing, knowing someone of high status can act like a regular person.

When asked about how the war from a few years ago went, they were glad to learn that there was a truce, the two kingdoms now being partners.

 Something that did strike as odd to them was that Dream never took his mask off, only adjusting it when needed When asked about it, he brushed it off, saying it was a comfort thing, which Y/n could respect.

"So, why do you live out here?" Dream asked, stuffing his face with some bacon.

"It's nice," Y/n started. "Quiet too, never been one to like crowds."

Dream hummed, placing his now empty dish beside him, grabbing a napkin to wipe his hands and mouth. "How long?"

"About five years, give or take."

"And...your dog? Reiner, was it?"

Y/n nodded. "Yeah, and he's been with me since the beginning. We bonded pretty quickly."

 Dream nodded, silence slowly taking over. It was a comfortable one though - Y/n was still eating while Dream still kept giving Reiner snacks.

"What about you?" Y/n asked, catching Dream's attention. "What brings you here?"

"Well, we're looking for a place called The Glittering Cave. We heard rumors that the gems residing there have some magical properties. Know anything about it?"

Y/n hummed a bit, shaking their head side to side. "Kinda, but probably not as much as you."

He nodded, putting a couple fingers under his chin. "Would you like to join us?"

Before Y/n could think of a response, Sapnap was quick to step in, concern evident on his face. "Dream, this was-"

He was quickly cut off by Dream raising his hand, silently telling him to be quiet.

"I know what I'm doing. Besides, it's not like they'll go around telling everyone." He turns to look at Y/n, an expectant expression hidden behind the mask, but can be heard in his tone. "Right?"

 Y/n nodded. "Yeah. To be honest, I haven't really seen or spoken to anyone in so long, it feels weird seeing anyone around here."

Dream chuckles, his shoulders shaking a bit. "I'd believe so. Even I'm rusty on my conversational skills."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I may be king, but I don't really get to talk to people like this. It's always the formal talk, blah blah blah."

Y/n giggles a bit when Dream ends his statement with a wheeze, his hand lightly slapping his knee.

 When they finished their honking, Dream adjusted his mask before getting up. "What do you say? Will you join us?"

"I don't know," Y/n replied, uncertain. "We've only just met, and this is your mission, isn't it? Why do you want me to go with you anyways?"

 Dream shrugged, having a nonchalant stance. "Well, you know these woods better than any of us, right? You could help us move around comfortably."