Ch. 7

(Ayyyyy music :3)

---

 Snow cakes the land within and beyond the forest. A cold, brisk breeze blowing harshly against the forest trees. Weeks have passed since the hermit's encounter with the king, and winter came faster than they had hoped.

Two days ago, a letter made its way to Y/n's door. How? Who knows.

 It was from Sapnap, informing them that the tech finished the commission he ordered for them as a thanks for their assistance, saying that it was ready for inspection and pickup. Thing was...the snow was deep, difficult to travel through. Even Reiner didn't want to go out.

 Sure, there wasn't a blizzard, but it was close. The harsh winds could knock them down with ease.

Normal people would wait for the storm to pass, but Y/n couldn't wait that long. This heavy storm has lasted for over a week. Food was running low. And with two mouths to feed, they couldn't wait any longer. They had to leave now before an actual blizzard comes.

 Y/n, wearing attire suitable for the harsh weather, stood on their porch, packing necessities on their sled. Tying down their bags of supplies, they also set up a blanket area. Not only for them to sleep on, but also for Reiner to lie on as well during their travels.

Yes, Reiner is going with them. They weren't going to leave him alone, in the freezing cold, alone, and with little food. The storm could get worse, closing Reiner inside with no way out, and Y/n wasn't going to risk that.

 Y/n went to the door, opening it to look at Reiner, who was lying on his makeshift bed near the unlit fireplace. They pull their scarf down that covered their nose and mouth, calling out to the wolf. "Reiner, come on!"

The wolf let out a whine, hiding his face in the blanket. Y/n sighs, shaking their head. "I'm not going to leave you here, dude. Come on, there's a bed waiting for you. You don't have to walk."

 With a huff, he gets up, walking out to the sled and lying down on the newly makeshift bed. Y/n closed and locked the front door, pulling their scarf over their nose once more. Walking over to the sled, they grabbed onto the rope that was in front of it and began trenching through the storm, dragging the sled behind them.

...

 Nightfall arrived quicker than usual, which Y/n expected. The days are shorter during the cold months.

 Y/n quickly made a fireplace and cooked some food for them and Reiner before bedding down for the night, bundling up in the thick blankets. Plus, a large wolf by their side.

When morning came, they begrudgingly got back up and continued on their journey. The trip, approximately, would take at least a week, especially with this weather.

If the storm got worse, however...it would take longer. Oh boy...

 The next few days played the same: walk, hunt, eat, sleep, repeat. Thankfully, the weather hasn't gotten worse, but not better.

"Someone must be upset," they muttered to themself, staring at the grey sky. They didn't worship any deity, but that didn't mean they didn't believe in them.

There were five deities that were well known throughout the lands, but that doesn't mean they're the only ones who held a form of power.

 The God of Justice, the Blood God, is well known amongst groups building a revolution, anyone who wishes to put the truth in the light.

It is also believed to to be more of an evil cult than for good, merely because of their name and catchphrase, along with the chaos that it commonly brings to many settlements.