Ch. 5

(PROFESSOR! PROFESSOR! I FOUND SOMETHING!
"shut up Luke")

---

"Y/N!"

 Sapnap ran to the hole Dream and Y/n fell, looking down to see them disappear in seconds, panic starting to settle in.

"Dream!" He called out, only getting silence in return. Other guards began to approach, only for Sapnap to hold up his arm to stop them from getting closer.

 Fast footsteps started growing near, and looking back, he saw Y/n's wolf, Reiner, running towards him. Quickly, he grabs hold of him in his arms before he jumps into the hole, struggling to keep him in his hold.

"Easy, easy!" He cooed, petting his fur to help calm him down. "Calm down, you'll get hurt if you follow."

 Reluctantly, Reiner stopped, whining while staring down the dark hole.

Sapnap stood up and looked down the hole once more, then at the surrounding area. "Spread out," he commanded. "There has to be a connecting cavern. Stick with a partner!"

 Before he started to walk away, he was stopped by a fellow guard, concern written on their face. "Sir, what about you?"

"I won't be alone." Sapnap turned to look at Reiner, crouching down to pet his head. "Right? Will you come with me to look for your friend?"

With a bark and a nudge, that was all Sapnap needed to know for his answer. He got up and looked at the guard, who nodded before going back to find a partner.

With a deep breath, he took his own path, Reiner following suit.

...

 An hour has passed, and he has finally found a cave system that seemed promising.

Sapnap could tell Reiner was getting restless, worried for Y/n, and he couldn't blame him. He was worried too, and was also worried for Dream. Hopefully the two will be fine, but he couldn't help but wonder...

Why was Dream acting so weird?

The moment they arrived, he was acting strange, but got even weirder when Y/n showed up. Almost like he was...

No...that couldn't be it. They've only just met, there's no way that could be the case.

 Perhaps it was the forest's doing? He had heard that some places and things could change how a person acts or thinks.

Just like what happened to that one kingdom... A kingdom that was once a bright and lively place, only now to be crumbled into ruin, covered with vines as red as blood, sucking the life source out of everything in its path.

His home...

Sapnap shook his head, brushing the thought away. That was years ago, best not to dwell on the past.

 A bark bounced off the cavern walls, making Sapnap jump. Looking around, he finds Reiner, high on alert, sniffing the air with interest.

"Smell something?" Sapnap asked, crouching next to the large wolf. The beast continued to sniff the air before bolting further into the cave, Sapnap quickly following suit.

 They went further and further down the winding cave, passing by several creatures lurking in the dark. Thankfully, they did not bother them as they ran past, possibly because they were moving too fast for them to even react.

 Soon, they came to a stop, being met with a dead end.

Sapnap furrowed his brows, studying the wall in confusion. "It's a dead end..?"

He turned his attention to Reiner, who's pawing and nudging at the wall. Now that he looks closer, he realizes the stone is smoother than the rest of the cavern surfaces.

A secret door, perhaps?

 He studied the wall, brushing his gloved hands on the polished surface. From the corner of his eye, he notices an indent on the wall. Pushing his hand on it, he heard a click, followed by the stone wall lifting up. It grinded against the stone above, soon revealing a passageway.

"Huh. Would you look at that?"

 Abruptly, a loud explosion could be heard echoing on the walls, followed by a scream.

Alarmed, Sapnap and Reiner ran down the passage, having to move to his side to get through narrowed areas from time to time.

Reiner was much faster than him, quickly quickly losing sight of the furry beast in a matter of moments.

 Finally, he reached an open area, greeted by an alarming sight.

Crystals were scattered everywhere, cracks and dents decorated the smooth stone surface here and there. Then, he spots them, huddled near the center of the room.

"Y/n!" He called out, running towards them in haste. He slides on his knees, his attention swiftly shifting to the unconscious Dream.

 He was on his back, resting on Y/n's lap, a pained scowl painted his features. Looking down, he sees that a large green crystal, no larger than a fist, pierced into his abdomen, Thankfully, it wasn't anywhere fatal; Y/n's hand rested on the wound, applying pressure to prevent any blood loss.

Quickly, he dug into his bag, pulling out a glass bottle and a roll of bandages. He moved to remove the crystal, but was stopped by Y/n. "Don't, he'll bleed out!"

Sapnap put a hand on theirs, gently moving it away. "It's okay, I know what I'm doing."

Hesitantly, Y/n nodded, letting Sapnap continue.

 Sapnap carefully removed the crystal, an awful squelching sound followed suit. Once it was removed, he tossed it to the side. He opened the glass bottle and placed it to Dream's lips, lifting his head up so that the red liquid went down his throat with ease.

 Y/n kept pressure on the wound, keeping an eye on the area. They were quickly distracted, however, by Reiner's nudging, resulting with them smiling and kissing his head.

Sapnap removed Y/n's hand from the wound as he started to wrap it up with bandages, making sure it was secure. "There, that'll do."

"Will he be okay?"

"Of course. Once healed, all that'll be left will be a small scar. He should be healed in a day or two, thanks to the potion."

Y/n nodded, sighing in relief. "That's good."

"Now," Sapnap stated, turning his attention to their shoulder. "Let's get you fixed."

---

1012 words

A bit shorter than the others, but it's all good. I'd rather not rush this story too much :)
This will also be a pretty month for me, so please forgive me if I don't upload for a bit. I'll do my best to keep you updated, whether it's with this story or another :D

Also, surprise surprise, I have more notebooks! Which means even more content to potentially work on!

Please take care of yourselves and remember to hydrate and consume! See ya! <3