Chapter Five - The Wait

Andrea's POV

I keep checking my phone for a message like some school girl. It's been a week now since Tariq and I exchanged numbers and he has not bothered to text or call. Why did I care though? I have no interest in this young man who is all of ten years my junior.

I lock the computer screen, grab my phone and get up from around my desk. I need a break and there's only one place on this complex to go when I need a break, Nicole's office.

I walk from my office and past the few cubicles that lined the passage in the office.

"Jermaine, I'm taking lunch," I say to my associate who is at one of the junior broker's cubicles.

"Ok, Andrea. Tell Nicole I say hi," he says without looking up.

I walk towards the door and Michael, the security guard opens the office doors to allow me through.

"Thanks, Michael, I'll be back soon," I say to him.

"Okay boss lady," he answers and closes the door behind me.

I get to Nicole's office in no time since it's on the opposite side of the complex.

"Married woman," I greet her as I enter her office.

She looks up from her computer and smiles at me.

"Hello, single lady," she answers.

"What will you be getting for lunch? I feel for some Chinese."

"Well, if you buying I can feel for it too," she says with a grin.

I roll my eyes, Nicole is my good friend, maybe even my best friend. We've been inseparable since we met while studying at the University of West Indies. She is younger than I am by about seven years but she's always been one of the most dependable and level headed people I know. I had three years old Neandra and I was trying to get my first degree when Nicole came along. She carried me on her shoulders during our studies, I don't think I could have done it without her. I would buy her lunch every day if I needed to.

"Ok Miss, come on," I hold her office door open and signal for her to go first. Without hesitation, she grabs her handbag puts her cell phone in and leads the way.

Tariq's POV

I hate working with Kimmy but I don't have any choice but to. She takes nothing seriously.

"Can you stop moving the sheet from your breast please?" I ask her.

"Come on T, stop being such a prude," she moves the sheet further away and squeezes her breast lightly.

I sigh. Will I ever get done with this damn painting? A move like that would usually get my heart racing and my cock standing at attention, but no more. Any attraction I had for Kimmy has been lost and I am grateful. Now if only she would stop trying to make me fuck her and stay in one place, then I could get this painting completed.

I have until the end of the week to submit all four paintings to my agent, Tamra. She's getting my work in the Arte Padova, a contemporary art fair, in Padua, Italy. I am working day and night to perfect these paintings because this is a huge deal. I'm on the last piece which is a full-body portrait. Kimmy is an actress so she can easily depict the facial expressions I need to convey my message. I'm using this portrait to bring awareness to the sexual abuse of women by men in positions of power. Kimmy is supposed to be pretending that she is a woman forced into sexual relations by a man to whom she reports. The picture should convey the fear, vulnerability and victimisation of the subject, not her sexuality.

"Kimmy, please," I look at her with genuine exhaustion, we've been at this since eight in the morning, "it's four o'clock now, and I need to pick up Leah from the daycare."

She gets back in position at the mention of Leah's name. She does the perfect facial expression, her eyes huge with fear and a slight frown creases her face. She pretends to nibble on her finger as a sign of nervousness. Her body is wrapped in a white sheet that reveals the curves of her breasts as she kneels upright on the bed.

I complete the sketch to my liking then start painting her eyes. As I mix the colours to get the perfect shade of brown, I remember Andrea with hazel eyes. I smile at the memory of her. I've been meaning to call her but between my time at the studio and the college, I haven't had a minute. I rather calling than texting and calling would mean I would need some time to have a meaningful conversation, I would want to invite her out for dinner or lunch, but I won't have the time until after this painting is done. Maybe I should make sometime later to invite her out this weekend.

"I'm gonna do your eyes quickly," I say to Kimmy, "please keep still so I can get it done in fifteen minutes or less."

She nods in agreement and maintains the position. Kimmy is a great subject but sometimes she gets carried away. Still, she respects and appreciates the art and the work that is put into it.

"There," I step back to look at the raw sketch with only the eyes completely painted.

Kimmy relaxes, then gets up from the bed. She is wearing black lace panties only, she has a beautiful body that I now appreciate as an artist only and I use her for most of my portraits. She walks past me to the sofa on the other side of the studio to retrieve her bra and dress. She snaps her bra into place then pulls her dress over her head.

"Remember, I'm working tonight so I'll pick up Leah after school tomorrow," she says as she slips on her flip flops.

"Yea, no problem, just don't forget to pick her up though," I say as I move to the sink to wash my brushes.

"Lord, T, that was just once," she rolls her eyes at me.

"You and I both know it wasn't once," I am not about to start this argument, "I'll call to remind you."

"Whatever, when I must come back?" She asks.

I sigh as I think about the time I had to work with. It was Tuesday and I need to get the painting done by this Friday. I did lectures at Edna Manley all day Mondays and Wednesdays, so I had only this Thursday and Friday left to get this painting done.

"Thursday bright and early please."

"Ok love," she blows me a kiss and then leaves.

I put up the paints, covered the easel with a sheet, grab my phone and keys then head to the car. It's five and I need to get Leah.